Sub for Mayo in a sandwich dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I am not a big fan of Mayo or most things mayo based. Now I understand the need for fat to prevent the bread from getting soggy that is ussually played by the part of the mayo. So what can I use that is not mayo based that will provide the requisite fat to prevent the bread from getting soggy.

Traditionally, you can use salad dressing (eg. Miracle Whip or an equivalent) which is NOT mayo. Or you could use butter. Butter is a very common substitute for mayonnaise, and I prefer it to mayo in several types of sandwiches.

depending on the sandwich, ill sometimes put a smear of sour cream on the bread, just to give it that " i put something like mayo on it" feel. Im not a big fan of mayo either. But when I make a provolone cheese hoagie, even with the salad dressing on it ( i prefer good seasons italian) it still feels like its missing something ( the mayo), so i smear the sour cream just to give it that fat feel.

Traditionally, you can use salad dressing (eg. Miracle Whip or an equivalent) which is NOT mayo. Or you could use butter. Butter is a very common substitute for mayonnaise, and I prefer it to mayo in several types of sandwiches.
As i am strictly kosher I would like to avoid using dairy as we do not mix milk and meat in the same dish. I know miracle whip is not mayo but it is mayo like.

As i am strictly kosher I would like to avoid using dairy as we do not mix milk and meat in the same dish. I know miracle whip is not mayo but it is mayo like.

It is whipped vegetable oil and has no dairy products in it:

Water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, mustard, flour paprika, spices, dried garlic, preservatives (potassium sorbate, etc.)

And I have a Jewish lady friend who only eats Kosher, and she allows herself the use of this kind of product, which she makes a version of her own without the eggs.

You could also consider the use of olive oil.

If u dont want dairy, and depending on the kind of sandwich it is, u could always mash up an avocado until creamy and smooth ( add a little salt) and smear that on the bread. Or maybe even some hummus too ( again , depending on the sandwich)

Yeah - good old Hellman's mayo is kosher, so is Miracle Whip ... but so are mustards, ketchup, BBQ sauce, Horseradish sauce, etc. Depending on what you are putting in your sandwich, and the type of bread/roll/bun you are using you have a wide variety of salad dressings you could use, too - Italian, French, Russian, etc.

Vegenaise is a vegan mayonaise, which means no dairy and no eggs. It is by far the best vegan mayo that I've had and tastes better than many brands of the real thing. If it's purely a kosher issue, this is a winner.

I am not a big fan of Mayo or most things mayo based. Now I understand the need for fat to prevent the bread from getting soggy that is ussually played by the part of the mayo. So what can I use that is not mayo based that will provide the requisite fat to prevent the bread from getting soggy.

Butter

no dairy, so a vegan or otherwise plant-based margarine would be better.

One of my favorite "no-fat" options is roasted garlic. Take a couple of cloves and squeeze them out onto the bread and smear it around.

I also like different good mustards. Dijon or Dusseldorf (German style) are my favorites.

I agree with Wyogal. Among other things, my DH can't have dairy so I buy a spread which is margarine/butter-like but is soybean based. It actually tastes very good. The brand we get is Earth Balance but there are others and they can be found in the natural foods section of your supermarket's "dairy" department.

Last edited:
Humm ... looking back at your Blog where you originally asked this same question (and got one reply) a couple of hours before you posted it here:

avrahani said:
What are you putting *in* the sandwich?
DragonSlayor said:
It is a general question to cover most wetter sandwiches. Greasy burger, BBQ beef, Italian beef, ETC

Knowing what the target is makes it a little easier to hit the mark.

I never put mayo on a burger, and with the exception of maybe a couple of places you will not get one around these parts unless you order it that way - you'll either get mustard or mustard and ketchup. BBQ is NEVER with mayo, just BBQ sauce. Italian beef (sliced, meatballs, sausages, etc.) - Italian tomato sauce (thought I had better be specific so our UK and Aussie members don't think I'm talking about ketchup :LOL:).

Toasting your buns or bread will go a long way in slowing down how quickly a wet sandwich turns soggy - and you don't need to smear it with oil to be effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom