Range Hoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hardly ever fry at home because my range fan does not suck up the grease very well and my house will smell of grease for days. What brand, size, power, would be best for frying?
Thanks!

First of all, unless your range hood vents to the outdoors, don't bother. Those that filter the air and blow it back into the kitchen are virtually useless.

For a new vent hood, your installation needs will dictate some of your choice. Most hoods can be installed several different ways (horizontal vent out the back, vertical vent out of the top, etc).

The power of the hood is usually measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm) of air moved. When shopping, compare cfm numbers. If you are quoted other power numbers such as watts (this hood has a 300 watt motor!), ask for the cfm. Depending on your stove, you may need more or less power. Regardless, you should look for a hood with 500-1000 cfm. More if you have a stove with high output burners, or more burners than the usual four, you may need more power.

an exhausting hood is probably what you want - sucks the air over the cook top and expels it to the outside. the usual hood/light combo sucks it in the bottom, thru a filter (which few people clean regularly) and expels it back into the kitchen.

whether your layout (outside walls relative to cook top . . .) permits an exhausting fan is the primary consideration.

if an exhausting isn't possible then you're stuck with the re-circulating kind.
can't offer any good opinions there - everyone I've ever encountered was terrible at everything except making noise.

I"ve used the BROAN brand hood with lights and fan for years with great satisfaction.

Warning: Vented hoods are only as good as the installer.

My parents built a new house wth a vented hood in the kitchen. Some idiot connected it to the heat and air vents. Mother found grease dripping in her bathroom one day because it had the only overhead vent. It only took 10 years, but drip it did.

Back
Top Bottom