ISO Cornstarch substitute in baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghamilton

Assistant Cook
We have just discovered a corn (and rice) allergy in my son. I am having trouble finding substitutes when baking. For example, I have a pudding recipe that is very simple to make that takes 2 tbl of corn starch. I tried it today with the same amount of tapioca starch flour and it was rubbery in texture (though flavor was fine). I also have arrowroot. My issue is finding a good substitution guide when baking as baking is so precise in order to have success. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I tried the recipe again with the conversion guide recommended in one of the posts (thanks) using 3 tsp of arrowroot for every tablespoon of cornstarch. The texture was more normal - doubt anyone could tell the subtle differences unless tasting side by side. The arrowroot did mute the chocolate flavor a bit as well as lightened the color. I will try the next batch with the less amount of tapioca starch flour that was recommended. Thanks for the advice.

How about potato starch. It's better all way around in my opinion. I never used corn starch untill I came to the states, always potato starch.

I have not tried potato starch yet as I do not have that in the pantry. Did you use that in baking as well as cooking?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom