ISO Meat Pie recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4theloveofcooking

Assistant Cook
Hello, i am a new member here and was wondering if anyone had a meat pie recipe. thanks in advance for any help.

I got a meat pie recipe from a website devoted to OLD foods (middle ages). I adapted it for my use (was in cooking school, wanted to make something authentic, more or less, to that era).
Gode Cookery
It had beef and pork in it, as well as dates, cinnamon, clove, allspice, red wine.

Another meat pie recipe that is quite tasty goes like this.

Pie crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp beef soup base
9 tbs. ice water
lard

Combine the flour and soup base. Add 1/2 cup of lard and work it into the flour with a pastry cutter, or your fingers. Add more lard and work it in until the misture resembles little pebbles. Add the ice water and fold together just until the dough forms into a ball. Dived into two equal parts.

Filling:
3 potatoes, washed and diced (skin on or peeled as you like)
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 cup diced rutabegga (optional)
1 stick butter
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup water
Salt
Pepper

Crumble and brown the ground beef and brown in a skillet. Drain the grease. Add the remaining filling ingredients and cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring every five minutes or so, until the veggies are almost cooked through. Remove the lid and turn off the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Roll out 1/2 of the pie dough to make a bottom crust that is 3 inches larger than the pie pan. Cut off the rough edges to make a smooth circle that is 2 inches larger than the pie pan. Carefully use a cake turner to fold the raw crust in half. Lift and place into the pie pan and unfold. Press into the pie pan. Roll out the top crust. Place the pie filling into the bottom crust and cover with the top crust. Fold the top crust so that it fits between the bottom crust and pie pan. Pinch the edges together with a slight twisting motion to form a pretty edge. Cut small vent holes into the top crust and bake at 350 degree F. for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve with gravy and or ketchup.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My grandmother used to make one using pastry dough, and cooked ground meat. She would just roll the meat inside the dough and bake.

Back
Top Bottom