Runny Pecan Pies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoneWolf1038

Assistant Cook
The last 2 batches of pecan pies that I made came out runny! Now I'm being asked to make some for Thanksgiving, and I'm so afraid they will turn out runny too!

Is it possible that I am chopping the pecans to finely that it would make it runny? HELP!!!! Here's my recipe....

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

1 stick Margarine
1 cup White Sugar
3/4 cup White Kayro Syrup
3 eggs beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine margarine, sugar, and Kayro syrup in medium pan.
Heat over medium heat to a boil.

In a bowl, combine beaten eggs, pecans, vanilla & salt.

When sugar mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly add to the egg mixture. Mix well.

Pour into pie shells and bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on rack.

DOUBLED RECIPE WILL MAKE 3 PIES.

Here's the recipe I use. I don't precook the filling. The margarine may be the problem. It has more water in it than butter. Also, I recommend that either the sugar or the corn syrup be dark (brown sugar with white corn syrup or white sugar with dark corn syrup).

ANDY’S PECAN PIE
1 Piecrust
3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Prepare the piecrust and place it into a 9” pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the piecrust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

20 minutes isn't a very long cooking time so maybe it's undercooked? It's done when the center wiggles just a spiffle.

20 minutes isn't a very long cooking time so maybe it's undercooked? It's done when the center wiggles just a spiffle.

You and Uncle Bob both seem to think it's not cooked long enough, and looking at Andy's recipe, I see Andy sets the oven at 350° not 375°. I also notice that Andy's is cooking for an hour...mine is only 20 minutes?? I tend to agree it must be undercooked...BUTTTTTT

A "spiffle", huh???? :ROFLMAO: Mine comes out looking soupy! The crust will burn if I leave it in longer....maybe drop it to 350° and go longer???? I suppose I COULD put foil on the crust until the end, right?

You and Uncle Bob both seem to think it's not cooked long enough, and looking at Andy's recipe, I see Andy sets the oven at 350° not 375°. I also notice that Andy's is cooking for an hour...mine is only 20 minutes?? I tend to agree it must be undercooked...BUTTTTTT

A "spiffle", huh???? :ROFLMAO: Mine comes out looking soupy! The crust will burn if I leave it in longer....maybe drop it to 350° and go longer???? I suppose I COULD put foil on the crust until the end, right?

Your recipe calls for being cooked less because you precook the filling. Yes, reduce the temp so the crust doesn't burn. Covering the crust with foil also if you like.

Lonewolf1038 said:
The last 2 batches of pecan pies that I made came out runny!

Has this recipe ever worked for you??? If so...What did you do different the last two batches?

Obviously cooking it 20 minutes even with a partially cooked filling hasn't worked :ermm:

How about forget about a clock, wrist watch or kitchen timer (Pecan pies can't tell time anyway):LOL:...Cook the pie until it sets....Then let it cool completely...

Enjoy!

Hmmmmmmmmmm??? I made a post earlier and it seems to have gone off into lala land??

The later posts by Bob and Andy pretty much cover the thoughts I had about baking time but for two things.

Your recipe uses more butter/margerine than most recipes I've seen so you might want to cut back a little.....maybe 5-6TBS. You might want to check your oven temp with a thermometer to be sure you are getting the temp that you want.

And finally, I second the earlier suggestion of using either brown sugar or dark Karo.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

You guys are great!

OK.....since I already had the light Kayro, I opted for the brown sugar. I don't know that much about cooking (as you can tell) but seems to me that regular sugar and brown sugar measure differently?!

I am doubling the recipe I posted earlier, and I decided to use butter instead of margarine. That would mean 2 sticks of butter, but is that going to be too much?

Also, if I am supposed to use 2 cups of white sugar....how does that calculate out in brown sugar? Boy...you know how stupid that sounds? LOL Am I supposed to pack the brown sugar in the measuring cup or just kinda dump it in?

Hope someone replies so that I can get started on this project.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Lonewolf, measure the brown sugar to the same amount as the white sugar. You are asked to pack brown sugar into the measuring cup because it tends to leave air pockets unless you do and you end up with less sugar than you need.

Your recipe calls for 2 tablespoons more butter than mine. That should be OK.

I used this recipe and everyone raved. It uses light corn syrup to highlight the flavor of the pecans. I find it interesting that Andy's recipe, and yours use butter. Mine doesn't and it tastes very good. I'm going to have to try it with the butter addition. That may make it even better.:chef:

I know that many have said to use dark corn syrup. I say make it to your taste. If you like dark corn syrup better, than by all means, use it. I'm going to substitute grade B maple syrup in my next pecan pie, maybe for a pie around Christmas time. But I do know that this recipe is tried and true. And as always, I have to agree with Andy about everything he stated in his post. This is just another version with a different flavor profile. The technique is the same.

Ingredients:
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tbs. Flour
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/4 Cups broken pecans

Preheat oven to 375 deg F.

Spread pecans evenly in an unbaked 9-inch pie shell.
Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the pecans. Bake for about 45 minutes. Check at 40. Remove from the oven when the filling is set.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The only time I had a runny pecan pie was when I subbed real maple syrup for the Karo. Then it came out of the oven looking and acting set and got runny as it cooled. Weird. I use the recipe on the Karo syrup bottle otherwise and never had a problem.

Maybe it would be prudent "NOT" to double the recipe until you are sure you have the bugs worked out?? It will be a little extra work; but you don't want two more runny pies if there is still some sort of problem.

Bake one pie and see if it turns out to your liking. If it turns out OK, then make another one. If it doesn't turn out quite right, then you can make adjustments with the second pie.;)

Yesterday I went to make a pecan pie for my dad. Like I said I used the recipe off the Karo syrup bottle. This year, I thought I had enough karo but was 1/4 short so filled it out with real maple syrup. Used half light and half dark brown sugar which is different for me too. I usually only use light. It looks good and set so we'll see how it tastes later today.

I use Dear Abby's recipe and it turns out perfect everytime.:LOL:

That is the one I have used for quite a few years, myself; but, to be honest, the recipe that Andy posted with all of the different "shades" of pecans sounds even better though I might add a little more sugar to make a full cup.

I do have a problem with Abby's recipe once in a while. Sometimes the crust turns out a little soggy when the filling soaks through. Anyone know why that happens?:bangin: Could it be the brand of store-bought crust I use sometimes or might it be something I do when I make my own? Would pre-baking the crust help with this problem? I have never done that before.

Fixing runny stuff made with corn syrup.

Pecan pie often comes out runny with the old recipes BECAUSE THE SYRUP IS DIFFERENT IN OUT 'MODERN' WORLD. Often(you can never tell when without a chemical analysis, but frequently these days) one component of the corn syrup is removed to be concerted into some (more valuable) product. What is left tastes the same but doesn't cook the same; the chemical composition is different(I DO have a PhD in chemistry). You will note this also particularly in making divinity candy. You must cook to a higher temperature than old recipes specify or the candy will also come out runny. BOTTOM LINE: add extra thickening via (wondra flour works well and easily) flour, corn starch, more egg yolks, instant clear gel(a treated corn starch that thickens even without cooking); there are a million things you can use; practice and find the one you like best.

Back
Top Bottom