Safe to use on stainless steel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
is it ok to clean up the bottom of a stainless saucepan with something like this? i've seen them used on cast iron & they seem to work pretty good:
affb6a8c-a0db-4b25-b0ad-68b0d9286d7f_4.jpg

Tool Cache - Wire Brush Set - 51114 - Home Depot Canada

If those brushes are as stiff bristled as they look, I'd say no. They would deeply scratch the metal. How bad is the pan?

Those are advertised to strip paint. Other than stripping a bad cast iron for re-seasoning, I'd never use them on any pans.

not bad at all. i think a plastic pot scrubber would work fine. i guess i'm thinking far into the future. :-p

Steel on steel is bad, and those look like steel. Iron on steel is OK, because iron is softer than steel and won't mar it. That's why they still make Brillo steel wool soap pads (actually a low grade of soft steel with iron-like properties), and they do a great job - with a little elbow grease.

I agree, they look like they would scratch. How about an SOS pad? That's what I use.

If it is burnt on stuff, put a couple of cups of water in the pan, add a tablespoon or so of dishwasher detergent, bring to a boil and let it sit overnight. The black stuff will rinse right out.

That's what I do as well Sparrow. Once I'm done cooking with the pan or pot, I put hot water in it and let it sit and scrape bits while it's hot - or let it boil them off.

steel wool, is stainless steels best friend, coupled with a green scrubby. Those brushes are designed more for carbon build up removal on grill grates and the like.

Back
Top Bottom