Cracked Another Crock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ross101

Assistant Cook
I just ruined a brand new crock pot. I wish someone would invent a slow cooker that wasn’t extremely sensitive to temperature changes.

are you putting cold into hot - as once i had turn my crockpot on while getting items ready then add liquid and it crack. start with cold for all.
I have 3 different sizes and I have had them for years.

As Letscook said... just avoid any extreme temperature changes and they should never crack (unless you drop it! LOL!). Fix your soup, stew, roast... whatever while cold. Adding warm meat after browning is OK, but then turn it on and forget it until it's done. Minor seasoning is no problem, but adding cups of cold liquid is! DON'T DO IT! It will crack the crock! It should have been added at the begining.

An alternative to a slow cooker is a Dutch Oven. Adding something cold won't crack a very warm cast iron oven/pot.

Tell us the steps you took leading up to the crack. They generally do not crack unless they are dropped or there is thermal shock. If you tell us what you were doing we might be able pinpoint the problem.

Back
Top Bottom