In need of ideas for quick and easy soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
For health and price reasons I like to take my own lunch into work. I'm tired of fixing sandwiches all the time. I am looking for quick and easy soup ideas that I can prepare the night before and take into work with me the next day. My ideas were a type soup using pre-cooked shrimp or chicken with some type of noodles veggies and broth. But if you have other ideas I would love to hear them.

Canned broth
Frozen Vegetables
Pre-Cooked meat or fish.
Season to taste with herbs and spices.
Combine and simmer.

Optional: Beat and egg with some lemon juice and slowly whisk the soup into the eggs.

1 lb. ground beef
1 28oz can tomato in puree
1 can french onion soup
1 pkg. frozen green beans1 pkg. cheese tortellini
1 tsp. dried basil
1 small zucchini, chopped

In saucepan cook beef until browned and juices evaporate.
Add tomatoes, soup, green beans, basil and 31/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.Reduce heat to med. , cover and cook 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
Add zucchini and tortellini cook uncovered 10 mins. or until tender.

This makes 4 good sized servings.

Refried Bean Soup

1 16 oz can refried beans -- spicy variety
1 15.25 oz can yellow corn, canned -- drained
1 15 oz can black beans -- rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes -- cut up
1/2 cup water
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1/4 cup salsa

In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.

I am with Andy. Use canned or any other ready made broth that you like and you can add prety much anything you wnat to it. It will take at the most 20 minutes to make. You can make some easy vegy soup and even add some soup powder id you want or simply leave as is. Just use seasoning you like.

ABJ.....get yourself a microwave recipe book...there are so many easy, tasty soups to be made. and if I don't have homemade chicken or beef broths I use the Campbells low salt box of broth. Good luck!!!

I think the secret is the stock. If you can't make homemade chicken stock, buy some. Use a good beef stock when it calls for beef.

We love this and have it often when things get hurried like now at Christmas. I by a 1/8 or 1/4 of a lb. of pancetta and dice it, brown it along with several med. yellow onions diced and 2 Tab. of crushed garlic in evoo, then add several boxs of chicken stock to this I add a head of Escarole all cut up..Let the Escarole cook about 15 min or so and it's ready to go....If it isn't filling enough as is add some nice warm Italian Ciabatta and enjoy.Some orzo is nice in there as well.
kadesma

Try this for a quick cream of vegetable soup. Your choice of vegetable!

CREAM SOUP

1 T. Butter
2 T. Flour
3 T chopped onion
2/1/2 c. milk
2 sm.(14-16 oz.) or 1 large (about 30 oz. give or take) can tomatoes, asparagus, peas or spinach, drained.

Melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add flour and cook over medium heat until flour is incorporated. Add milk a half cup at a time and cook until soup is slightly thickened. Add vegetables of choice and cook until heated through. Blend with immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Careful! The hot soup will tend to spray up in the blender. Do it in batches and keep the lid on.

Often, I forget to pull something out for dinner. When I get home I declare soup night. I pull out my pressure cooker, a frozen chicken breast and either frozen or fresh veggies. Put it all in the pot cover with water, add some bullion. 30 minutes later I open the vessel, spice it up, dice up the fully cooked meat and serve.

You can put rice or barley in the pot and it cooks at the same time.

abjcooking, make a BIG batch of chicken broth, then freeze it in smaller bits. When you take one out you can then decide what veggies/meats etc you want to add in. One day you might toss in a few wontons, some shrimp and some peapods, the next some chicken chunks, corn and some cream. Its very versatile and you can decide at the last minute what to add to it. Good luck.

Get yourself a really small slow cooker, at night throw in whatever fixins you have on hand, add some H2O and seasonings and hit start. Wake up to a beautifully simmered soup. Pt it in a Thermos Bottle of re heat at work

bobbleheadbob

I made this for dinner tonight...3c. chix broth,bring to boil then add 1-17oz can of creamed corn bring to boil once more. Add 1 t.cornstarch mixed with 1 Tab water cook til thickened and clear. Add 1/2lb of pulled apart crab and 3 sliced green onions white and green. Serve right now. with Warm buttered French bread.
enjoy
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom