Seasoning a wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
We have a new wok. Not coated with any non stick stuff. I've seasoned lots of cast iron, not sure what to do with the wok. It has plastic handles, I don't see any way to remove them, so seasoning in the oven is out. We've been cooking in it, but the sides up high never seem to get very hot, will it ever get that nice black coating? Any advice? Thank you.

I think it really depends on how often you will use it. Don't forget this is home cooking and home stoves are really not as hot as wok stoves, not by a long strech. Wok stoves are extremely hot, much hotter than even comercial stoves. So it will take some time before it's really seasoned.

I don't know about your specific case, but sometimes what appear to be ordinary plastic handles can actually be either ceramic handles (glazed in any number of shiny colors - if you've ever seen an old-fashioned telephone from the 40s-50s, they are made of a plastic-ceramic blend), or thermo-plastic handles (good to about 500 degrees.) You may need to read any literature that came with your wok to see what they say about the handles or seasoning the wok.

In any event, I don't see any harm from using it as you have been, and although it may look ugly from uneven seasoning, as long as it works and doesn't get rusty, go for it! Good luck to you! :chef:

I remember seeing instructions for seasoning a wok on the stovetop. It was a tedious process that involved heating, coating and turning the wok so the burner heat got to the sides and edges etc.

I don't have a clue where I saw it but if you did a google search and started clicking on links, you might find it.

I have a wok with wooden handles that I seasoned in the oven. Seasoning temperatures usually don't exceed 350F. The wood darkened but are still perfectly good. Many plastics on utensils are good for moderate temps but I can't guarantee yours are.

Do you have a grill? Perhaps you could use that. Season as you would cast iron, but do it on the grill with the handle hanging out.

Use it...Cook in it...Stir fry in it...Fry things in it that you usually don't think about using a Wok for...When you do this...spray the sides up high with a light spray of Pam...wipe off any excess..a very thin/light coat is what you want. In time............

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

For Carbon-Steel Woks

Use 1/2 bunch of Chinese chives (sold at asian markets) and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.

1. Wash the new wok with hot soapy water and scrubbing brush. Dry the wok with paper towels. You may see some dark stuff coming off.
  2. Turn on an exhaust fan. Heat the wok over high heat until water vaporizes.
  3. Swirl in oil and add the chives.
  4. Reduce heat to medium and stir-fry for 15 minutes. Add oil if needed to prevent mixture from becoming dry. Push the chives up the sides and around all parts of the inside of the wok.
  5. Cool the wok, then wash with hot water and a soft sponge. Dry over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
You're ready to cook! Use lots of oil the first few times you cook with the wok. When finished cooking, use only hot water and a soft sponge to wash the wok. Do not use dish soap or you will ruin the seasoning. As you use the wok it will get darker and more seasoned with time.

For seasoning I would use shortening instead of oil. Highly used on cast iron. Rub in well to coat wipe with paper towel and heat on grill for 20-30 minutes with indirect heat. Med heat not Hi.

Back
Top Bottom