Leg of Lamb sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhodge64

Assistant Cook
My family and I have decided to forego the traditional turkey and ham dinner on Christmas this year. We have decide to go with a leg of lamb. However, I'm tired of normal side dishes. I need some help. I need some ideas to rock my guests.

Thanks for the Help,
Jan

Roasted Root Vegetables

To me, some creamy mashed potatoes simply cannot be beat. You could guzzy them up with some cheeses, or rosemary, or some dill and garlic, OR any combination above. For a bit of colorful flash, how about roasted root vegetables? They are colorful, yummy, and even good for you. Plus, the combinations are only limited by your imagination and they are EASY to cook.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ingredients:
  • Select 5 or 6 root vegetables to make 1.5 to 2 pounds. Pay attention to colors, etc. (Potatoes (unpeeled), carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, whatever.)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered *optional
  • 8 -10 cloves of garlic, unpeeled (but snip the tips so you can squeeze them out! YUM!) *optional
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons of oil (use your favorite oil or use a bit of butter mixed with oil.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs or 1 Tablespoon of dry well-crumbled herbs. (Some of my favorites are rosemary or thyme. Select something that will blend with the seasonings of your main course.)
Scrub, peel (as needed) and cut veggies into chunks. (Cut big pieces for those veggies that cook faster and smaller pieces for those that cook slower.)

Toss the veggies, onion*, and garlic* with oil or oil/melted butter in a heavy roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt.

Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper and herbs, and then continue to roast and stir for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies are nicely browned.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

You can also add pieces of squash to this, which is a nice variation. Really, it is simple and you can toss in whatever sounds good to you. It can be a very pretty dish.

Enjoy!

~Kathleen

These are all great - If you're interested in any of these, I'll PM the recipe(s) to you:
ROASTED ASPARAGUS WITH CRISP SHALLOTS
CARROT CONFIT
PARMESAN GREEN BEANS
EASY BAKED POTATO WEDGES
GREEK POTATOES

To me, some creamy mashed potatoes simply cannot be beat. You could guzzy them up with some cheeses, or rosemary, or some dill and garlic, OR any combination above. For a bit of colorful flash, how about roasted root vegetables? They are colorful, yummy, and even good for you. Plus, the combinations are only limited by your imagination and they are EASY to cook.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ingredients:
  • Select 5 or 6 root vegetables to make 1.5 to 2 pounds. Pay attention to colors, etc. (Potatoes (unpeeled), carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, whatever.)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered *optional
  • 8 -10 cloves of garlic, unpeeled (but snip the tips so you can squeeze them out! YUM!) *optional
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons of oil (use your favorite oil or use a bit of butter mixed with oil.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs or 1 Tablespoon of dry well-crumbled herbs. (Some of my favorites are rosemary or thyme. Select something that will blend with the seasonings of your main course.)
Scrub, peel (as needed) and cut veggies into chunks. (Cut big pieces for those veggies that cook faster and smaller pieces for those that cook slower.)

Toss the veggies, onion*, and garlic* with oil or oil/melted butter in a heavy roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt.

Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper and herbs, and then continue to roast and stir for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies are nicely browned.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

You can also add pieces of squash to this, which is a nice variation. Really, it is simple and you can toss in whatever sounds good to you. It can be a very pretty dish.

Enjoy!

~Kathleen

Great idea - I love roasted vegetables.

merstar,

The asparagus recipe would be great. My son is always after me to fix it, but have yet to find one that I like.

Thanks,
Jan

i suggest couscous or potato gratin..I also love some baked cherry tomatoes with some herb spice...you could also try some cheese dish like mozzarella sticks or jalapeño poppers.

merstar,

The asparagus recipe would be great. My son is always after me to fix it, but have yet to find one that I like.

Thanks,
Jan

A fast and easy asparagus recipe is this:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Rinse and trim your asparagus spears. Spritz a cookie sheet with a bit of olive oil. Lay the asparagus in a single layer on the sheet. Spritz the asparagus with a bit of olive oil to coat. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until tender-crisp. Remove and add whatever, and then serve.

Then add whatever you want. Some things that I add are salt and/or pepper; a tablespoon of Orange Juice mixed with a bit of butter; a bit of balasamic vinegar; a bit of garlic salt; herbs; etc. For the lamb, I'd consider some OJ and butter with a few orange curls for garnish.

It's a fast and easy way to make asparagus. And it rarely fails.

~Kathleen

Between Andy and Mexican Mama, Iam out of ideas. Since lamb is a traditional food in the Middle East I'd also go with traditional Middle Eastern sides. Rise or couscous, better yet both for variety. Both are simple to make and a wonderful complement to the lamb’s flavor.

Back
Top Bottom