Chocolate Covered Cherries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Does anyone here have a TNT recipe for them?

I'm looking for the ones that are like the "Cella's" brand.

Thank you.

Munky.

Thank you both, much appreciated. :)

Wyogal: I read those, wow the choices out there!! It's great to have choices. For the most part for me would be finding the cherry liquor around here in time. So now it's what can sub for the liquid center? I'm thinking to reserve the maraschino cherry juice and using that. The cream center has been decided, chocolate coating can go either way. Semi sweet, white chocolate, or milk.. These are going to be time consuming to make.

Uncle Buck: Thank you. I'm making up gift baskets. This year it's container candles and boxed chocolates. Thought chocolate cherries and a few other types of candy would be something nice for everyone to enjoy.

Munky.

This is the recipe that my mom and I have been making since the 1980's. It is foolproof and these are a treat that all our friends just rave about.

Chocolate Covered Cherries

2 boxes (16 oz. each) powdered sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-9 oz. jars maraschino cherries
1/2 bar (2 oz.) paraffin wax
24 oz. chocolate chips

Drain cherries and pat dry on paper towels. Remove the stem from the cherries. Mix all ingredients, except cherries, wax, and chocolate chips, until combined. Roll dough around individual cherries and freeze. When rolling the dough around the cherries it is best to coat your hands with powdered sugar. This will keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Melt wax over a double boiler and add chocolate chips. Mix until smooth. Dip frozen cherries in chocolate and place on waxed paper or candy cups. The best tool I have found for dipping cherries is a round toothpick. After placing the dipped cherry in the paper cups, dip another toothpick in the chocolate and fill the hole in the chocolate. This recipe makes roughly 8-9 dozen chocolate covered cherries. Store in a cool place for up to one week. Do not refrigerate.

I remember making them a long time ago, it involved making a fondant and wrapping it around the cherries, after they aged for a couple of days, the fondant turned to liquid.

Back
Top Bottom