Hummus without Tahini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Don't know if this is the right forum or not!
trying to come up with a low fat hummus, thinking of trying to leave out the tahiini (could be sacrilidge :rolleyes:).
Here's my thoughts:
Chic peas, roasted garlic, onions, cumin, olive oil, juice half lemon, salt and pepper.

Any further suggestions or am I just wasting my time? :chef:

Try toasted sesame oil, or use a mortar and pestle to ground up sesame seeds. I would do a combination of the two if you can, because the toasted sesame oil may be too strong on its own.

Will deffo ground sesamse seeds and post results. Must check the kcal and sat fat of tahini and see how bad (or good) it is.

I use all the things you named, and when I have them, also roasted red peppers from a jar. I just don't buy tahini, afraid of not being able to use it all before going bad, even in fridge. I have made it with and w/out sesame seeds, no big difference to me, tho I can see how the sesame oil might be a good idea if you wanted the oil, I use a dab of olive oil.

Recently, I was watching the food network and one of the chef's made a hummus using plain yogurt, garbanzo beans, olive oil, and lemon juice for the base of the hummus. Since I am not a huge tahini fan this sounded really good. So, you could use her recipe for the base ingredients and then add other ingredients that you like.

Here is a link to the recipe. Dill Hummus

Tahini or sesame oil can very easily be omitted with no problem...in fact you will find many recipes about that do not include it. Add a little cayenne or chili for a bit of a kick along with some cumin.

Back
Top Bottom