Which fondue set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mouse_8b

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am considering getting a fondue set for my girlfriend for Christmas, but I'm not exactly sure which one I should get. I think that an electric one would be best, but I'm open to suggestions.

From all my research so far, I am trying to decide between:

Trudeau Electric 3 in 1 Fondue 11 Piece Set

Cuisinart CFO-3SS

Rival FD350S Stainless Steel Electric Fondue

[I would love to post Amazon links, but apparently I don't have enough points]

Can anyone offer any advice as to which one of these, or any other fondue set, to purchase?

Hi,

I am considering getting a fondue set for my girlfriend for Christmas, but I'm not exactly sure which one I should get. I think that an electric one would be best, but I'm open to suggestions.

From all my research so far, I am trying to decide between:

Trudeau Electric 3 in 1 Fondue 11 Piece Set

Cuisinart CFO-3SS

Rival FD350S Stainless Steel Electric Fondue

[I would love to post Amazon links, but apparently I don't have enough points]

Can anyone offer any advice as to which one of these, or any other fondue set, to purchase?
I have two electric fondue pots, one is Cuisinart and the other an old Rival. Both work just fine and we use both at Christmas...Set it right and your fondue will stay hot and tasty all evening
kadesma

Have you looked at the vintage ones? There were a lot of these around during the 50's and 60's, and they are readily available at low prices, particularly on ebay. The copper ones are beautiful. I find that the Sterno or alcohol ones will not keep oil hot, so use an electric. I don't like electric cords connected to hot oil, so drop the cord between the leaves in the table and wedge them tight. Fondue is a tradition around my home around Christmas.

I find that the Sterno or alcohol ones will not keep oil hot, so use an electric.
The one I have keeps the contents very hot. I have never had trouble with my non-electric one.

I do not know the brand of mine, but it has a metal outer bowl with a ceramic insert. When used for things like cheese, you put a little water in the metal bowl and then the ceramic insert goes over that. It acts like a double boiler so the cheese gets evenly heated. When used with oil you put the oil directly into the metal bowl and don't use the ceramic.

I love using non-electric as it adds a lot to the ritual of fondue.

Do you know where these are available? I really don't like the combination of kids, cords, and hot oil. The ceramic insert makes sense. Should hold the heat longer. Do you warm it up first?

I am not sure where we got it. My wife got it for me as a gift years ago. I will take a look when I get home to see if there is a brand name or anything.

No I have never had to warm the insert first. i just put the cheese in and then insert it over the water and I am good to go.

The ones I have will keep cheese and chocolate fondues warm. The problem comes with oil for cooking meat and veggies. Will yours keep oil near boiling?

I have never tried electric, but ceramic for cheese and chocolate, and stainless steel for meat fondues is the way to go.

I have used oil, but I prefer to make my own broth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom