More pressure cooking questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I have had 2 pressure cookers for 2 months know but I still think it is a bit difficult. The first one I had broke (it was a cheap one..). So I bought a tefal pressure controll + I realy like it..

But for 1 month ago it made very strange noises and it came water and steam out of the safety valve. I immediately stopped it and removed the pressure. I cleaned it and tryed again, the same happened. I did not use it for a couple of days and then tried again and it did work! I don't know what happened but it was working.. But after this "event" I feel like it to not cook as good as it did before.

I just bought a new pressure cooker to have in my other house (my parents are divorced). And it was so much better! This is a Funktion pressure cooker, much cheaper than Tefal..

Because my disease I need very very very soft vegetables and before I pressure the carrots for 15 minutes and it was enough.

But now I pressure cook them for 20 minutes and they are still not a soft as if I pressure cook them 20 minutes in the new pressure cooker. Does anyone have an idea of what happened to the old one? Can I fix it? Is it normal?

I really want to use the old one it was very expensive and should be good quality. It is just so strange that the food is so much more soft with the new one. (I am sorry for this bad english but I don't have the dicteory on this computer)

I have two pressure cookers...a large one I use for soups and stews also a smaller one for roasts, chicken and so on. I love my pressure cookers...it can make roast a fast food. You can cook a 3 pound roast in 45 minutes and it's falling off the bone tender and much tastier than cooking it in the oven.

You can make Chicken Cacciatore in 8 minutes...it takes longer to cook the pasta than the chicken.

First...I never buy a pressure cooker with gauges I always buy the kind that uses a weight to regulate the pressure. Gauges are unreliable and they break easily...gravity always works.

The only way to know if a pressure cooker with a gauge is working right is to take it to a lab and have it tested. Here in the US your local Department of Agriculture office will test them for you for no charge.

Second...If the steam valve is clogged the cooker will fail. You must make sure to never fill your cooker more than half full or the food will clog the steam valve and the cooker will fail. Clean your cooker and make sure all steam holes are clear of any food particles.

Good luck!!

Pressure cookers are great.I also have two of them and the one I use the most is my $30.00 cooks model from JC Pennys.There really is'nt too much that can go wrong with them provided that you keep them clean and follow the directions.I am betting that you probably had a kink in the rubber gasket on the lid.I also did this once and it will definantly effect the performance of the pot and make a mess when it finnaly starts to boil. I hope this helps, but if you have any doubts you should contact the store where you bought the pot or contact the manufacturer.

This is sheer speculation; but........

Seems like I have read that different brands of pressure cookers can operate at different pressures. The higher the operating pressure, the higher the cooking temp will get and the shorter the cooking time required.

Maybe the reason your two PCs cook differently is because they are operating at different pressures???

Then maybe the pressure at which the Tefal PC is operating has changed? It might be prudent to have a technician examine the PC to be sure it is functioning properly.

We are all kinda speculating here a little since we don't know all of the details of your situation. Is your "cheap" PC one with a gauge and an auto release valve or is it the old type that just has a little weight that jiggles when the PC reaches cooking temp? I don't know if they still make them or not; but they used to make the jigglers with three different positions so one could adjust the operating temp of the PC. If yours is built that way, maybe you have unknowingly changed the pressure of your inexpensive PC.

Lots of variables here so it is hard to give an accurate diagnosis. :ermm:

In that case, I would just use the cookers and not worry about it. Modern pressure cookers, even inexpensive ones, have multiple safety features so you need not worry about having a serious accident. And I am sure you have already experienced the fact that different pots have different cooking characteristics so you will just have the learn the differences between your two pressure cookers and make the appropriate adjustments. I am in agreement with who have stated, previously, that the release of a little steam and water droplets is most probably normal.

It just occurs to me that part of the problem might be due to the fact that you are cooking on two different stoves. Maybe the stoves heat a little differently and that is causing the difference???

One final thing you could do is send an email to the customer service people at Tefal and ask the same questions you are asking here. If anyone is going to know the answers to your problems, it will be the manufacturer!!:idea:

While I'm not familiar with the two brands of pressure cookers that are mentioned, I have used Mirro and Presto brands, 2½ quart, 4 quart, and 6 quart, for over 45 years. Some of the possible problems that come to mind are the same as already mentioned: the vent pipe being clogged; the gasket not installed properly; food caught under the gasket; safety fuse damaged or unseated; different stove or burners being used; multi-pressure jiggler used incorrectly; too much water; too little water; cooker too full; lid locking mechanism malfunctioning. Checking the manual that came with the cooker might help. Emailing the manufacturer sounds like a good idea. Good luck! Pressure cookers are wonderful--when they work right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom