ISO Italian Meatballs Recipe ... please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babbler

Assistant Cook
I'm of Italian heritage and have never - ever - found a good Italian meatball recipe to match my Neopolitan mum's meatballs. I have her recipe, but mine always turn out either dense or tough or tasteless by comparison. Recipes I've tried (like Biba's) don't taste as good either. I use 2 parts ground veal to 1 park ground pork, an egg, bread crumbs soaked in milk, romano cheese, parsley, some minced onion and garlic and salt and pepper. Sometimes I bake them, sometimes I fry them before adding to tomato sauce. Good ingredients but the finished product isn't.
Does anyone have the 'ultimate' Italian meatball recipe to gladden my heart and please my tummy?
This is my first day on this site. It would be nearly miraculous if I landed a great recipe on my first try.
Thanks in advance.:)

Man, are you ever in luck!

Here is a meatball recipe that makes the best meatballs you will ever eat. Follow this recipe. You will not be disappointed.

MEATBALLS (POLPETTI)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add to your tomato sauce recipe to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.

if you already have a good recipe I recomend you work on perfecting it, rather than look for new one. As there is no guarantee that the new one would turn out good either. Having said that, I have never found a good Italian meatball recipe, that work well for me either.

Thanks to both of you. I have played around with the ingredients to my mum's recipe to no avail CharlieD.
And Andy - thanks so very much. I'll post back once I've tried the recipe.
Thanks again.

I have been on the search for a lovely meatball recipe...I will try this one, thanks Andy :)

Here is a meatball recipe that makes the best meatballs you will ever eat. Follow this recipe. You will not be disappointed.

MEATBALLS (POLPETTI)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add to your tomato sauce recipe to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.

Back
Top Bottom