How to cook Rutabaga?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You ever make turnip? Peel the rutabaga, dice it in about 1/2 inch cubes, boil til soft. Either mash or serve in cubes with butter and salt.

cook and mash with potatoes...the flavors go so well together. Roast with olive oil and thyme with other root veg like celery root and sweet potato. Cook on its own as others above say. Very good. also a great soup veg!

It is dense so cut small for quicker cooking.

I love rutabega. It's my favorite side dish at Thanksgiving dinner. I like mine mashed with butter and a bit of brown sugar. It's also great grated raw into slaws. My eldest sister made some potato soup one time, very creamy, with little chunks of diced rutabega in it. It change the whole nature of the soup, made it much better IMHO. I also love to use it in New England Boiled Dinner, and of course in that peculiarly Michigan filled pastry, pasties. It's also great in stews, expecially with beef or venison. Loooove rutabega. By the way, jsut so's ya knows, it's a cross between a turnip and cabbage, hensc its blend of those two flavors.:chef:

Just some more info for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom