HELP, ASAP! I used too much sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDM

Assistant Cook
Making red velvet used too much butter/oil, decided to triple sugar because I was creaming at the time. I do not want to triple entire recipe. Need to know how much 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar yields?:doh:

Perhaps others understand exactly what you are asking; but I do not.

There may be several different ways to resolve your difficulty if we have the full picture.

I assume you are making a red velvet (cake)?? Please tell us what the recipe calls for.....butter and sugar.....and what you actually mixed up.

Do you have a scale so you can weigh ingredients?

If you used the correct amount of butter and 3 times the amount of sugar called for in the recipe - 1/3 of that mixture will be the correct amount of sugar and 1/3 the amount of butter you need. Simply take 1/3 of what you mixed up and add 2/3 the amount of butter originally called for in the recipe to that.

For example: If you used 0.5 C butter and 1.5 C sugar - and you wanted 0.5 C of each, take 1/3 of your butter/sugar mix and add 5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter.

EDIT: Thought I had better mention that I am using standard US measurements, 1 C = 16 Tablespoons, 1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and suggestions, will be picking up a scale soon and taking some baking and pastry courses soon. I am a amateur. I did resolve the issue by splitting the creamed mixture 3 ways, I do not know if it actually worked yet (meaning the taste) but the cake baked normally and looks red.

If you used the correct amount of butter and 3 times the amount of sugar called for in the recipe - 1/3 of that mixture will be the correct amount of sugar and 1/3 the amount of butter you need. Simply take 1/3 of what you mixed up and add 2/3 the amount of butter originally called for in the recipe to that.

For example: If you used 0.5 C butter and 1.5 C sugar - and you wanted 0.5 C of each, take 1/3 of your butter/sugar mix and add 5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter.

EDIT: Thought I had better mention that I am using standard US measurements, 1 C = 16 Tablespoons, 1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

The very first sentence of the question stated that JDM used too much butter, so while the above is correct mathematically, it does not apply to this particular situation.

We could assume JDM used 3x the amount of butter necessary for the recipe and compensated by tripling the sugar. "IF" that is a correct assumption, then it is a simple matter of dividing the sugar/ butter mix in thirds (by volume or by weight...weight would be easier if a scale is available) and then using only 1/3 of the mix for the recipe (cake?).

Unfortunately, assumptions frequently get us in trouble which is why I asked for exact amounts used.:chef:

Yes Randy I did just that, I divided the mixture in to thirds without a scale though. So not quite sure how this cake will taste. Will let you know.

JDM: I suspect you will be just fine. You should have been able to divide the mix into thirds accurately enough that there will be no problem.

Since you have two more "doses" of the butter/sugar mix, it would be a shame to waste it so you need to bake two more cakes and give one to a deserving neighbor and send the other one to me!!!:ROFLMAO:

Oh no, it will not go to waste! :)
Someone will get a cake or cupcakes!
Have to taste it before I send it to a foodie like yourself!;)

Yep, Randy - assumptions are nothing but asking for trouble - which is exactly why I prefaced my comments with, "IF". :LOL:

Last edited:
I like "foodie" as an adjective instead of a noun.

"We are having a potluck at work today. The atmosphere is very foodie."

Back
Top Bottom