Apple Crisp going soggy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss_Feist

Assistant Cook
I'm a novice cook and am attempting to make an apple crisp for christmas. I have to make it ahead of time because im busy and it needs to travel a bit too. Will it go soggy if i make it a day or so ahead of time and then reheat it when i need to??

Unfortunately, yes.

Crisps are generally same-day kind of deserts. Any kind of covering (glass or plastic) will ruin your crunchy topping if left for more than half a day. Of course, you could always leave a top (plastic wrap or dish cover) off of the crisp until reheated. Aluminum foil might be best for this. If not sealed air tight, the warm, damp air from the filing can escape.

Have you thought about a cobbler? A cobbler isn't quite so time sensitive, and travels better.

Can you prep it, freeze it and bake it when you arrive? That should work. I freeze mine all the time.

I like Alix's idea. Bake the desert on site. Don't I wouldn't add the crisp topping to the dish until I was ready to bake it. Have it pre-made and sitting in an airtight container. Just sprinkle it over the top just before baking. ut that's just me. I haven't tried to freeze one ahead, and then bake later. Alix says it works. If that's more convenient for you, well she's a pretty, darn- good cook. I'd trust her advise implicitly.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom