Deep Frying Machine VS Deep-frying in Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfol

Assistant Cook
Hello guys,

Will frying in those deep-frying machines like the ones they use at Mcdonald's for their fries result in an overall better and crispier fried chicken?

How does frying in those machines compare to deep-frying in ordinary sauce pans?

And anyone knows what kind of equipment KFC uses for frying its chicken?

thanks

A restaurant fryer is considerably larger than one you would use in the home. The oil temperature probably is more consistent, and the pieces don't become crowded. Other than that, the oil needs to be at a certain temp with adequate space...
I never fry chicken in an ordinary saucepan, the sides are too low. I fry my chicken in a taller sided cast iron "chicken fryer."
cast iron chicken fryer - Google Images

375 Degrees or Bust

I have a home style deep fryer and find that it is a good tool. You need to fry at 375 to get suitable crispness, good to use a candy thermometer as many of the home machines have only dial type thermostats and the temps can be off +/- 50 degrees or more. A good method to fry chicken is to
1. Dry the pieces with a paper towel
2. Coat with flour, don't miss any spots.
3. Dip in an egg wash of 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon water, pinch of salt.
4. Dredge thru a mixture of 1 cup flour and 1 cup crushed corn flakes.

5. Fry in your fryer set at 275 degrees for 10 minutes.
6. Remove and drain on paper towels. Allow to rest 15 minutes.
7. Increase the temperature to 375 degrees and test with your thermometer, then fry for another 10 minutes or until you are satisfied with the color (varies with oil types and how many pieces you are frying).

Result will be very crispy and quite moist.
Good Luck and Good Cooking.

Deep frying in a pan vs. a deep fryer should produce the same results assuming the temperatures are maintained the same.

The main difference is in the ease of maintaining temperature. A deep fryer has an automatic thermostat that keeps the oil hot. With a pan, you have to adjust the burner up and down to get to the right temp.

I have used my LC dutch oven with a thermometer to monitor the oil temp.. fried up the chicken beautifully.

I fry in a cast iron Dutch oven. Who has room for another appliance?

i have a small dutch oven type pan with an insert for frying. the kids love it.

Hmmm, nobody has mentioned using the T-Fal Actifryer that uses only 1 Tbsp of oil for up to 2 lbs of food.
T-fal-actifry-housewares-kitchen-appliances-2.jpg

Mind if I ask another deep frying question? What do you do with all that oil when you're finished? No "spill" jokes, please.

It's useful having a friend that runs a biodiesel. With all the talk of the SHTF I'm thinking it could be used for homemade candles, the kind that use regular vegetable oil.

Thanks so much. I thought I could reusethe oil. I just wanted some backup. I'll filter it through a coffee filter first, just to be safe.

@ Kimber,

You can still use the oil as long as it is not yet dark.

@ Steve,

Thanks for the fire safety reminder. He is right, it is really dangerous when you are frying with a high fire temp because sometimes fire crawls in the pan igniting a big fire with the help of the oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom