MAC Gourmet Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'm curious about this software. I had Master Cook on my PC but it doesn't appear to be available for the MAC. MAC Gourmet appears to be the MAC alternative.

What do you know about it?

Do you or have you used it?

Would you recommend it?

Have you used other cookbook/recipe software and could you compare that to MAC Gourmet?

Thanks,

I use it Andy. It is the only recipe program I ever liked. Part of that is there is a free iPhone app that goes along with the Mac version and they synce to each other so I have the recipes on my computer and my iPhone at all times.

If you are familiar with iTunes then you are familiar with this program. The layout is the same and it has things like smart lists just like iTunes.

I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone who has a Mac. I think you can get a free trial which gives you limited access so you can try it out.

Thanks for the input, GB. Actually, I was looking at the Deluxe which includes being able to meal plan, make cookbooks and most importantly, calculate the nutritional data for a recipe. That's about $41. - $49.

OK, I think I'm going to download the trial and see how I like it. It looks like something I'd get a lot of use from.

Andy, what kind of Mac do you have? MacBook?

OK, I think I'm going to download the trial and see how I like it. It looks like something I'd get a lot of use from.

Andy, what kind of Mac do you have? MacBook?

Alix, I have a 13" MacBook Pro. I got it about two months go.

I had MasterCook on my PC but it won't work on my Mac. I also used to have the FDA's Nutritional Database on my PC but they don't offer a Mac version. I know you can use it online but like to be able to calculate the data for recipes.

I think I'm going to try this free trial software. If you buy it, can you post back what you think of the add ins? The menu plan and nutritional data are the two that I would be most interested in.

I got those extra add ons but have not used them. I looked at the meal planning and could not figure out how to use it right away and have never looked back at it. The nutritional data seems lacking. It comes with a database of items, but many of the things I cook with (and you as well) are not in there so you have to manually add them. I started to do that with each recipe I entered, but it seems like a never ending process that just got too tiring so I stopped. I have heard great reviews from both of those add ons though, from people who do really use them.

I think I'll download the trial version and test it out. Thank you all for your feedback!

The feature I love the most is when you copy and paste a recipe into it it does a really good job of auto-formatting it for you so you don't have to do much work when entering recipes from online.

GB I have my own standard recipe format that includes ingredients listed in two columns followed by the directions in one column. Are formats flexible enough to allow customization like that?

Off the top of my head I am not sure Andy. I would guess not, but look for yourself and don't trust my word on it because I could be wrong.

By formatting, what I meant was when you enter a recipe in the program you put in the size of the measurement, the type of measurement, the ingredient, and how it is prepared. For instand you may have a recipe that calls for 1 cup of minced onion. When you copy the recipe from online into the program it will put the "1" in the right spot and the "cup" in the right spot and "onion" in the right spot and "minced" in the right spot. I am sure I am doing a lousy job explaining it, but you will see what I mean when you start using it.

Wow! I have never heard of this before. Is it very new?

I'm curious how all of you like it. Probably should download the free trial and give it a go, although I cannot imagine translating all my recipe files from Word! :rolleyes:

I have downloaded the software and opened it in the trial mode. I have twenty trials before I have to decide if I want to buy it at $50.

The first thing I wanted to do is import one of my recipes. All my recipes are in MS Word format. I tried the import function and it didn't work. The only format options offered were for other recipe softwares.

So I opened the manual and read the appropriate section and it tells me the same thing.

If I can't import and modify all my recipes without retyping them, this is a waste of my time.

Can anyone help??

Highlight the entire recipe, title and all, and copy it then go to the program. Click on clippings on the left then paste the recipe in. Double click on the recipe in the top box now and it will open in edit mode. From there you can highlight things in the top and select what you want them to be. For instance, you would highlight the title then click on the drop down box and pick "name" then hit set. Do this for everything in the recipe. It takes a few seconds to a few minutes, but it is really quite easy to do and won't take you much time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom