Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   Gingerbread pancakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f158/gingerbread-pancakes-62161.html)

jet 12-27-2009 01:44 PM

Gingerbread pancakes

I'm working on gingerbread pancakes. I worked on this some time back, but could not get any ginger taste (despite using 2-4T per 1/2 cup of flour). The problem had to have been old/bad ginger. I now have some fresh powdered ginger, and I'm starting again.

Here's what I'm going to try first:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 T powdered ginger
  • 1 t pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 T oil

Wyogal 12-27-2009 01:57 PM

Here's a link for those folks that don't normally have "pumpkin pie spice" in their cupboard:
pumpkin pie spice mix recipe - Google Search

jet 12-28-2009 06:04 AM

I forgot to list the egg in the original recipe, and I also added 1/2 T brown sugar.

The pancakes came out brown (kind of like whole wheat) and tasted of ginger. It did not taste too strong, but did leave a slight burning sensation in my mouth. Next time, I think I'll decrease the ginger and increase the pumpkin pie spice.

msmofet 12-28-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jet (Post 868094)
I forgot to list the egg in the original recipe, and I also added 1/2 T brown sugar.

The pancakes came out brown (kind of like whole wheat) and tasted of ginger. It did not taste too strong, but did leave a slight burning sensation in my mouth. Next time, I think I'll decrease the ginger and increase the pumpkin pie spice.

i am so excited!! i can't wait for the final recipe!! please take a pic of a stack!! btw do you top them with anything special? or just the usual butter and syrup?

jet 12-31-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmofet (Post 868135)
btw do you top them with anything special? or just the usual butter and syrup?

I don't do syrup. For these I'm alternating thin layers of PB and fruit spread.

Take two:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 T powdered ginger
  • 1/2 T pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 egg
  • 1/2 T oil
  • 1/2 T brown sugar
Not quite there yet...

Kasia 01-01-2010 08:52 AM

Gingerbread

I've got recipe on my blog:
www.foodfrompoland.blogspot.com :chef:

Constance 01-01-2010 12:04 PM

Try adding a tablespoon or two of molasses...I always put that in my gingerbread cookies.

jet 01-02-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constance (Post 868911)
Try adding a tablespoon or two of molasses...I always put that in my gingerbread cookies.

I added 1t of molasses and it did help the taste. Unfortunately, the pancakes stuck something fierce.

Kasia 01-07-2010 02:27 PM

Gingerbread

Here You are::chef:

Gingerbread

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_o9ZG85rp2O...00/piernik.jpg
INGREDIENTS:
* 14.1 oz flour, about 400g
* 8.818 oz sugar, about 250g
* 4.23 oz margarine, about 120g
* 2 eggs
* 4 tablespoons jam
* 2 tablespoons cocoa
* 1 cup of milk
* 1 teaspoon of baking soda
* 1 package of gingerbread spices
* delicacies

IMPLEMENTATION: Melt the margarine and cool. Beat eggs with sugar mixer. Add milk, flour, baking soda, cocoa, add spice to gingerbread. Stirring add jam. Then pour fat, stir until homogenous. Add flour, stir in nuts and dried fruit and mix. Prepared dough translate into a small rectangular sheet. Bake the cake. Cold pour chocolate cake and decorate as desired. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 50 minutes - 356 F: www.foodfrompoland.blogspot.com

ChefJune 01-07-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jet (Post 868094)

you might want to check to see what percentage of your pumpkin pie spice is ginger. That would help keep you from adding too much.