How to Make Tender Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueheron

Assistant Cook
I never buy pork chops anymore because they always turn out tough. I would love to make some that are tender. Any suggestions? :chef:

On the back of the sauerkraut bag there was a recipe for pork chops and sauerkraut. You brown the chops and put them in a casserole with the kraut on top, cover and bake. I'm tempted to try them.

Two things:

1. Buy the thickest chops you can find
  2. Cook by temperature

Pork chops don't have much fat anymore because pigs are bred to be leaner now. Less fat equates to a higher temp and shorter cooking time, as posssed to the "low and slow" method for fattier cuts like the shoulder/butt. For 1 1/2 inch bone in chops I will brown on both sides (maybe 4 - 5 minutes or so on each side) then I put in the oven for about 7 minutes (probably 375 degrees). Additional fat is nice...I make a topping when mine bake of butter, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, and horseradish. A bit of pink in the center is ok.

I make pork chops all the time for my family...and I like to keep it simple.

6 thin pork chops, bone-in
egg wash
breadcrumbs
2 cups beef broth

Double bread the pork chops, brown in olive oil. Pour in the beef broth, cover, simmer for 45 minutes.

They've never been dry. I usually serve with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. YUM!

What does "cook by temperature mean"? Does that make them tender?
Use a meat thermometer to check doneness, as opposed to cooking for a fixed length of time. This will prevent overcooking.

I think "cook by temperature" means to use a meat thermometer and take the chops out just before they have reached the suggested temp. The thickness of the chop is also important, thin ones will cook more quickly.

I never buy pork chops anymore because they always turn out tough. I would love to make some that are tender. Any suggestions? :chef:

On the back of the sauerkraut bag there was a recipe for pork chops and sauerkraut. You brown the chops and put them in a casserole with the kraut on top, cover and bake. I'm tempted to try them.

You have two basic choices for cooking pork chops, low and slow or hot and fast.

For low and slow, you would quickly brown the chops then slowly simmer them with sauerkraut (or brown gravy, etc.) for an extended period. This is similar to what you do for a stew or pot roast. The long slow cooking process tenderizes the meat.

Alternatively, cook the chops over high heat until done. Do not overcook. Overcooked pork chops will be tough and dry.

Pork chops are safely done when they reach an internal temperature of 137 F. Most people like them a little more done, so go to 145 to 150 F internal temperature. If you stop there, they will be moist and tender. If you cook them to a higher internal temperature, they will be dry and tough.

Try brining the chops for an hour or so, then do hot and fast. Works well here. Make 'em thick chops though.

blueheron...you can brine in something as simple as buttermilk...you can then add chopped garlic and rosemary for added flavor if you do it for a bit longer than an hour. A basic brine solution consists of 1 gallon of water and 1 cup kosher salt. You can then reduce accordingly. I like to add some brown sugar to mine too...about 1 cup also. You can also substitute apple juice for the water when it comes to pork or poultry.

With a basic brine you can never go wrong.

My ex (who was toothless) couldn't eat pork chops. Then one day I cooked them a bit differently. I browned them... then tossed sauerkraut in the same pan... covered it with a lid and simmered it for a good while. They were so tender, the meat was falling off the bone. And my ex was able to eat them!

The chops I bought last night were somewhat less than an 1" thick. Cut the oven time down to about 4-5 minutes. Mine was the thinnest and was a bit dry right in the center, around the bone was still perfect...husband's was the thickest and was the most tender!

One of my family's favorite pork chop recipe is with mushroom soup gravy. I've made it with bone in and boneless. I brown the chops in fry pan and then put in a crock pot. Slice up some potatoes thin and add to the crock pot. I add the mushroom soup to the fry pan and scrape to get all the brown stuff up. Then pour this over the chops and potatoes. Then cook.

I have also done this on the stove top before I had a crock pot.

Carol

I think browning and braising is a good method, as some have mentioned here.

When I cook them with sauerkraut, I do them one of two ways. Sometimes I brown them and put the sauerkraut on top--all on top of the stove. Sometimes I don't brown them, but I lay them on top of the sauerkraut and put them in the oven. I do the same (the oven method) with country style ribs and sauerkraut.

:)Barbara

I really agree about brining pork chops!! I'll never prepare them any other way again. For two thick chops, I use about a cup of apple juice, a palm full of kosher salt, and a palm full of brown sugar. Put all in a zip lock bag, and turn a few times in the refrigerator. It can be done in a couple hours, or overnite. Never another dry, tasteless chop!!

don't forgret that meat continues to cook even after you take it of the fire. So you should take them of the fire few minutes before they are done and let it rest for 10 minutes or so. They will be done then.

I have fallen in love with the microwave steaming bags here in the UK.........veggies, meat, and fish have all come out so tender and juicy.....will give it a go with pork and let you know what I find out.....brining it for an hour shouldn't be a problem either prior to popping them into the bags......I've never looked for them in the states but I woudn't be surprised if they didn't have them, too.........thanks for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom