Judie’s Big Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
I haven't made this cake in a long time and was looking for something to make for new years dinner when I came across the old recipe. It's a great cake so I thought I'd share.

Judie’s Big Pound Cake
January12,1998

3 c. sugar
3 c. flour
6 eggs
2 sticks butter (softened)
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. milk
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract(I leave out the almond and increase the vanilla to 1 tablespoon...I don't like almond extract)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tsp. baking powder

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl .....
Beat 5 minutes on high speed
Pour batter into large tube or bunt pan (WELL greased) (OR 1/2 sheet pan)Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

Allow to cool in pan until luke warm. Once removed from the pan, I let it sit on a wire rack and cover the whole thing with a heavy towel, till the next day ... This allows the "crunch" to form. If you flip it onto a plate or serving platter right away, the part that *was* the top (open end of pan) can get soggy.
Dust with powdered sugar

The pan I prefer to use most often (for a Bundt)is an old Nordic Ware 14 cup capacity, very big & VERY heavy. It was my Grandmothers, I don't even think they make it anymore.

It fits perfectly in a 1/2 sheet pan.

As far as the texture ... The best way I can describe it is "velvety" and rich. The top (open end of pan) gets the most delicious crispy little "crunch".

img_869097_0_6234b4cb75bd3e45ccaa6cf62fd360f6.jpg

img_869097_1_f8e30d3d2de4dd83183725c5b4c03945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom