Chocolate Crackles or crinkles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I don't know if this is in the right forum- im just guessing

I have watch several movies and shows (McCleods Daughters) from Australia and they always mention Chocolate Crackles or crinkles.

Are they a chocolate cookie? Cracker? biscuit ?

just curious thanks

Interesting link Janet, and you are right - no marshmallow. I have never encountered them with coconut or sultanas or noodles or peanut butter! The copha makes them very sickly and even adults with a sweet tooth usually stop at one (or earlier). The picture is a lot prettier than anything I ever saw either! Patty pans of stuck together Coco Pops.

Loved em as a kid. The mere thought of them as an adult though is enough to make me gag!! LOL

I grew up eating these and still make them with a slight variation... I use shredded wheat instead. Sometimes I mix shredded wheat and coconut. I also make a white chocolate version (with a green tint). Usually only around easter. You actually can make these to be less kid like, reducing the sugar and upping the presentation at bit.

Here's how I do it:

Ingrediants:
7 oz milk chocolate
1 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 T butter
4 to 5 oz crumbled shredded wheat. You can substitute coconut or mix these two ingredients.
Method: Melt the chocolates and butter together then stir in the cereal.
Drop onto wax paper or into cups and make small indentation in center. Fill with easter eggs or Jordan almonds and cool.

I also dug though my old family recipe box and found this which is a more proper Crackle IMHO:

Ingredients
½ C butter, cubed
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 oz milk chocolate
1/3 C corn syrup
4 or 5 Shredded Wheat (full size) crumbled
Method - Put the butter into a medium bowl, then add the cocoa powder, chocolate and syrup. Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds, or until melted, then stir to mix everything together. Mix in Shredded Wheat. Make into nests or wreaths and decorate while still warm. Cool.

Attachments

• crackle.jpg
    crackle.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom