Hot Pan - Frozen Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadievan

Cook
Hi all,

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the cookware forum, but I guess it is a cooking question.

I know that putting a hot pan in cold water can warp the bottom. What about heating a pan, adding the oil, then adding a package of frozen veggies/food? Will that do harm to the pan? I did this yesterday, but then got to wondering if it will hurt my new pans. The veggies said to cook from a frozen state. Should I maybe have rinsed them in cold water to partially unfreeze them?

Carol

I put mine in a cold pan and put the lid on, off set to one side for the steam to escape, as I heat it up, thawing the vegetables in the process. Once they can be broken apart, I then add the oil, sauce or whatever. BUT, I don't leave the pan. I keep stirring every minute.

I put mine in a cold pan and put the lid on, off set to one side for the steam to escape, as I heat it up, thawing the vegetables in the process. Once they can be broken apart, I then add the oil, sauce or whatever. BUT, I don't leave the pan. I keep stirring every minute.

I was told that 'hot pan, cold oil, foods won't stick'. By doing it your way, does your food stick to the pan?

Carol

I use that method for things such as frozen whole kernel corn, brussel sprouts, succotash, green beans, and berries... foods that would not ordinarily stick to the pan anyway. Also, the pan isn't that hot for these items - medium low on average.

For hot items such as frozen hamburger patties, chicken or ham slice, I lightly oil the pan first. By the time the meat is ready to flip, it has already gone through the stick & release stage, and isn't any problem.

I was told that 'hot pan, cold oil, foods won't stick'. By doing it your way, does your food stick to the pan?

Carol
That saying, while true, does not give the full picture. As long as the oil gets hot then you are all set. The food does not know what the temp of the pan was when it went in. You can do cold pan cold oil and as long as you heat them both then you will be all set too.

Back
Top Bottom