Infrared Tempgun For Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkSmoke

Assistant Cook
Hi,
Since i have Snake as pets and i bought an infrared tempgun , is it possible to use it for cooking? for example since i moved out and now i have a gas oven , can i use the tempgun to see how much temp is the oven? and also have anyone had expirience checking how done is the food with one?

Normally, it's not the exterior temperature that you're concerned with, but the internal temperature of the thickest part. An infrared temp gun is pretty useless in cooking unless you're interested in making candy, in which case it would come in handy.

agree that its not the most useful thing in the kitchen, but you could still use it for determining how hot a pan or griddle is (could be helpful with things like pancakes), how hot frying oil is (or any liquid, including candy, for that matter), or unexpected laser tag attacks

you mentioned the oven, and i dont think it work to well for that....i believe that the laser would wind up reading the walls or floor of the oven, and not the actual temperature INSIDE the oven....of course, those two things are related and may be the same, but there are more reliable ways to test oven temp.....a simple oven thermometer (the kind meant to stay inside the oven, not a meat probe) would be better for that

so i personally wouldn't buy one solely for cooking, but i would surely enjoy playing with one and figuring out ways to use it while cooking if i already had one!

agree that its not the most useful thing in the kitchen, but you could still use it for determining how hot a pan or griddle is (could be helpful with things like pancakes), how hot frying oil is (or any liquid, including candy, for that matter), or unexpected laser tag attacks

you mentioned the oven, and i dont think it work to well for that....i believe that the laser would wind up reading the walls or floor of the oven, and not the actual temperature INSIDE the oven....of course, those two things are related and may be the same, but there are more reliable ways to test oven temp.....a simple oven thermometer (the kind meant to stay inside the oven, not a meat probe) would be better for that

so i personally wouldn't buy one solely for cooking, but i would surely enjoy playing with one and figuring out ways to use it while cooking if i already had one!
yes thats why i asked cause i said i have snakes and i had to buy one so i can play a bit with it in cooking and maybe somebody already had some expirience with it.

I have been been thinking about getting one of these. There are times that knowing the surface temperature of a cooking skillet would be useful. Wok oil temperature would be nice to know, and this would be instant. Oven temps vary from one side to the other, and oven thermometers are often inaccurate. Checking the temp of the rack in various locations would help. Grill thermos measure the temp of the lid. I don't cook there. My interest started after an Alton Brown show, and I was playing with roasting coffee the old fashioned way, in a CI pot. What I found is that the devices vary widely in price, and I could find no recommendations anywhere.

I know but you still have to be carefull

be more careful of the people you live with ;)

i got one too .. to check temps in my bearded dragon cage (u dont have to touch the cage to get readings)

anyway, i've found it to come in very handy ... checking temps of oil or the pan not to mention other things around the house :chef:

I received an infrared tempgun for Christmas a couple of years ago and I have been wondering how to utilize it in the kitchen. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use it next time I make fudge. Besides the skillet and oil temp, has anyone found other uses? Just curious... :wub:

take it to the groccery store and check the temp of the packaged meets, apparently health inspectors love those things

I received an infrared tempgun for Christmas a couple of years ago and I have been wondering how to utilize it in the kitchen. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use it next time I make fudge. Besides the skillet and oil temp, has anyone found other uses? Just curious... :wub:

you can make sure baked goods are completely cooled to room temp before sealing/packing.
also checking the temp of the uncooked side of meat while cooking if you experiment can find a perfect flip temp .... make sure your beer/wine is cold enough ... 32F before opening a bottle ....

I have one and use it when I make yogurt,as long as you have a clear hit ( not reading foam ) it works great and there is one less chance of contamination. I also use it deep frying ,same caution on where and how you point it. I also have used it breadmaking ,water temp for proofing the yeast, and checking my fridges and freezers. I would use it making beer but I've done that for so many years that I know by touch what is going on.
Check the pitza stone before putting bread on it in the oven as well.
Hey ! I guess for me it is getting used alright,Plus you can check machinery for heat/cooling problems,which is the original reason I got it ,it doesn't relace an internal probe obviously but for the right process it is magic and it makes a real cool " Beep "
I know this is an old thread but the prices have come down alot this year

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom