Lodge Logic Grillpan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, so i just got my Lodge Logic square grillpan:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3940

I've been wanting one for awhile. I would've preferred a larger one, but the price of the few larger ones I could find was way too much; this one was just 19.95.

It says it is pre-seasoned, but does it need more? If so, how much?

Also, what about care? I know you should never use soap on it, but I seem to remember my old granny cleaning her beloved cast iron frying pan with just salt, and talking about the more stuff you cooked in it without washing, the better stuff tasted.

Care is the same as any other CI. The pre-seasoned is actually very good. Just keep using it and it will be fine.

One point to consider seriously. You will get a lot of smoke cooking with this pan. If you don't have a strong vent fan that vents to the outdoors, consider not getting it.

Seancan'tCook said:

Just a personal preference.. I recommend that the pan be seasoned...It's not absolutely necessary but it's what I would do. Follow the directions on the Lodge Web site and you'll be fine....

As for using soap....I, and others regularly use mild dish washing soaps to clean/wash cast iron with no adverse problems or loss of "seasoning"..Just rinse well and dry. It is my studied opinion that the "Never Wash/Clean With Soap" is a hold over from days gone by....Days when our great-great-great grandmothers didn't have the convenience of Dawn, Palmolive or other modern, mild, mostly rinsing agents products to use...Instead they had homemade or sto-bought LYE soaps....Lye is/can be very caustic and will remove seasoning from cast iron pots and pans!....At the end of the day it's a personal choice/decision whether to quickly use a modern mild dish washing soap, or salt, or any other of the several methods you will read/hear about.

Enjoy your new pan!!

I, too, will give a light, soapy cleaning to my CI pans...Wagner pans Mom bought me when I was pregnant 30 years ago! (She said I could use the extra iron.;)) I use one of the little scrubber brushes, the round kind with the soap dispenser on top. I get a tiny bit of soap into the bristles and then give the pan a quick clean. If you take care of CI it will last forever!

The way Lodge pre-seasons their pans is almost the exact same way most people do it in their homes. There is no magic to it. When you season it the first time at home the pan is ready to use, but the more you season it and use it the better it gets. The same holds true for the pre seasoned pans.

does it need more? If so, how much?
No it does not need more, but more will make it better. Feel free to use the pan as soon as you get it. You will not harm it. If you have the time to give it another seasoning or two then that will only help.

OK, this is an update after a few months of use.

I love this pan. I've been trying to learn to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts for some time. I wanted something simple and easy; roasting/baking was my method of choice, but none of my results were all that tasty.

I decided I wanted to try this cast iron grillpan to sear the breasts before baking them, hoping that a little caramelization would improve the flavor .... it definitely did.

If I've marinated the chicken breasts (which I normally do), i do nothing to the pan but heat it. I sear them on medium/high for about 5 minutes per side, the put them in a covered casserole dish for about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. The results are moist and much more flavorful than merely baking them.

Cleanup is a little annoying. I have to use soap, which I'd prefer not to, and I have to do a lot of scrubbing to get it clean. After washing and carefully drying the pan, I spray it with a little cooking spray and it works fine.

When I was a kid, I washed dishes in a restaurant. We had these steel potscrubbers that looked like a ball of chain-mail. They lasted forever and really got the crud out of pots quick. I've looked around, but can't find anything like that. Has anyone seen anything like that and/or know where I can get one? If not, what is the best way to clean it?

BTW, Andy M. said this would smoke a lot, which kinda bummed me out, as my 1947 kitchen has an unvented range fan. While it did smoke a lot the first few times I used it, it seems to smoke less now, although it still definitely does smoke. I had visions of the whole house filling with smoke and the smoke detectors going off (a normal occurrence when I am the cook on duty)

Maybe I'm all wrong, usually am, but I wouldn't use soap or you'll have to cure it again, right? Those ones w/a grill grate are a PIA, for sure. I use a pressure washer(easy for me live'n on a farm) w/just water every once in a while.(before family or guests see it:rolleyes:) But I also only use mine in the smoker or on the grill. After most uses I just wash w/warm water and some paper towels, then apply bacon or pam.

The longer you go w/out wash'n(w/soap), the better they get for nonstick and flavor.

I think the clean'n pads your think'n of were steel wool, guess'n. We used to have some in the house that had a pink cleaner stuff applied to one side. It was in a red box, started w/a B, iirc.

There are sites that just talk about CI & dutch oven cook'n. They would probably know best.

The problem with that for me is getting the pieces of blackened chicken stuck to the pan between the grilling ribs off.

And I know about steel wool; what I'm thinking of had little ringlets of interlocked stainless steel. It looked like a ball of the chain mail knights used to wear (but smaller)

WOW! I didn't really listen to what you said. I just never thought it would be very similar to actual chainmail! Maybe get one of those chainmail type gloves you can wear so you don't cut yourself. I've seen those somewhere.

I'd also be worried about scratch'n the pan.

I guess this means
I win the milk debate!
:clap: :cat: :punk:
(...in the Bizarre Foods thread)

:LOL:

Yep you win! What was I think'n anyway debate'n w/a woman!;):LOL: I've yet to win one w/wife or daughter.

Have you been called a turd yet today? Now ya have.;):LOL:

(had too many smiles and had to delete some)

WOW! I didn't really listen to what you said. I just never thought it would be very similar to actual chainmail! Maybe get one of those chainmail type gloves you can wear so you don't cut yourself. I've seen those somewhere.

I'd also be worried about scratch'n the pan.

Can you scratch a cast iron pan, and if, so, is it a bad thing?

Can you scratch a cast iron pan, and if, so, is it a bad thing?

Where I scratched my dutch oven on the outside, I have trouble w/that spot get'n rusty quick. But I haven't recured that thing for yrs, and I don't care for the outside as much as the inside.

Good point, though. Ok so it's scratched, add extra oil/recure, probably be as good as new. I'm gonna look for some of this chainmail.

You do chix alot, be great if you'd show how you do it w/some pix. I'm all for food pix.:mrgreen:

To clean the grill pan, after cooking is done, put enough water in the pan to cover the stuck on stuff and bring it to a boil. Boil to soften and loosen the crud. Clean with a wood spatula in the grooves.

Using the "chain mail" scurbber will take off the seasoning.

The difficulty with the grill pan is cleaning out the grooves. That's why I stopped using mine. A CI skillet with its flat surface gives you a lot more browning for flavor. You just miss out on the pretty brown lines.

OK, so i just got my Lodge Logic square grillpan:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3940

I've been wanting one for awhile. I would've preferred a larger one, but the price of the few larger ones I could find was way too much; this one was just 19.95.

Also, what about care? I know you should never use soap on it, but I seem to remember my old granny cleaning her beloved cast iron frying pan with just salt, and talking about the more stuff you cooked in it without washing, the better stuff tasted.

Brush it with grapeseed oil. Heat it on the stovetop until the oil just begins to smoke and turn the heat off. Set the pan outside to cool if it's smoking too much.

Do this four or five times before using, letting the pan completely cool before going through the process again. Obviously, you can do this over a succession of days.

Cooking a lot of bacon in cast iron is an old standby method of seasoning but this does impart a bacon smell for quite a while unless you blanch the bacon first.

Back
Top Bottom