Chicken and Dumplings without Chicken Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeerAndPizza

Assistant Cook
A few days ago I was looking for something to make for dinner. My roommates and I were all pretty broke, and I went delving into the fridge and pantry to see if I could whip something up.

I found 2 boneless chicken breasts that expired about a week and a half ago, and figured with some rigorous boiling we wouldn't be going hungry. There's 4 of us and 2 chicken breasts wouldn't go very far, so I turned to my old friend the internet for some advice. I decided on this recipe from southernplate.com for some home-made chicken and dumplings.

The recipe however called for chicken stock, which I neither have nor know how to make, and I was afraid to just omit it because I didn't want it all to be too bland to eat. I instead added water and a package of dry onion soup powder. My dumplings turned out brown but they were DELICIOUS.

It also turns out that chicken and dumplings lets you stretch 2 chicken breasts pretty far, and it tasted so good, the meal has now been added to our bi-weekly rotation.

If you try it, tell me what you think, you definitely won't regret it.

soups and stews and such in general are SUPERB ways of using up leftovers, aging items and generally stretching food dollars.

They are very very very flexible as to ingredients!

Welcome, BeerAndPizza!

it would cost you bucks if you had to be treated for food poisoning. i think you shouldn't have eaten the chicken. you were lucky this time. please only eat what is still sure to be good.

it would cost you bucks if you had to be treated for food poisoning. i think you shouldn't have eaten the chicken. you were lucky this time. please only eat what is still sure to be good.

I see this was and is, his only post. I hope he didn't keel over with food poisoning from the chicken.:ohmy:

With the exception of the dangerous chicken, a really tight budget can be the invention of something of which to be proud. I sure commend all new cooks who try to put something together, rather than resorting to "beer and pizza". :LOL:

I've made chicken and dumplings for years and I never use chicken stock. Instead I use chicken bouillon. 2 cubes for each chicken breast and then if I need to add water I put in two more. It saves on having to keep chicken stock in the cabinet and bouillon cubes last quite a while and you can use them more than 1 time.

Bouillon cubes, however, are almost 100% salt, and that can be dangerous for some folks' health. Low sodium chicken stock is a healthier choice. You can open the container and freeze the contents in an ice cube tray so it won't go bad before you use it up.

I've also started making my own stock. My youngest son loves the rotisserie chickens at Wal-Mart and once we get them home I skin it, pick the meat off and then use the bones to do my own chicken stock. With just a few herbs thrown in it makes a great stock for use in soups. And doing it this way I can watch the salt. I like using the bouillon cubes but, as it was pointed out they are very high in sodium which is something everyone can do without a lot of.

Bouillon cubes, however, are almost 100% salt, and that can be dangerous for some folks' health. Low sodium chicken stock is a healthier choice. You can open the container and freeze the contents in an ice cube tray so it won't go bad before you use it up.

I agree with it. I use a natural chicken stock by removing all the bones in the chicken and boil it. The water that was used in the chicken bones will the the chicken stock. Does anyone have the idea of this? :)

Back
Top Bottom