Sanyo Rice Cooker Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
I have a higher end Sanyo Rice Cooker
Amazon.com: Sanyo ECJ-HC100S 10-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker: Home & Garden

to be honest with you ive never had the best of luck with the rice cooker. It does "OK" with white rice but totally fails for brown rice.

The instructions for the unit aren't the best. They are located here:
http://sanyoservice.com/pdf/images/ECJ-D55S%20and%20ECJ-D100S%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

If you for the instructions on page 8 its not really clear whether you should throw in the rice before or after you measure the water. The only indication is that if you look at the example picture at the top of that page then show the water & rice in the pot at the same time but they don't tell you if the 3 cups in the diagram is for 3 cups cooked or for 3 cups of dry rice measured.

Tonight i decided to measure out the water and i put 4 cups of rice in the cooker and and 10 cups of water (2.5 cups of water per cup of rice) and it water came all the way up to the 8 cup marking on the pot...and there seemed to be a LOT of water but if you have to just fill it to the 4 cup line on the pot then these rice cookers require a LOT less water than cooking on the stove.

Does anyone here know or maybe someone has one of these higher end sanyo rice cookers that could help me out?

thanks
Ncage

White Rice to water ratio, whether cooked on the stove or in a rice cooker, is 1-1/2 cups of water to one cup of rice. This will ultimately give you 2 cups of cooked rice.

Brown rice to water ratio is 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice and ultimately yields 3 to 4 cups of cooked rice. It also takes more than twice as long to cook as it does white rice.

Brown rice can be soaked for an hour before cooking, but it is not necessary and must be drained and dried before cooking. I add the rice to the water as it comes to a boil.

How much you chose to pay for your rice cooker makes no difference to this ratio.

White Rice to water ratio, whether cooked on the stove or in a rice cooker, is 1-1/2 cups of water to one cup of rice. This will ultimately give you 2 cups of cooked rice.

Brown rice to water ratio is 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice and ultimately yields 3 to 4 cups of cooked rice. It also takes more than twice as long to cook as it does white rice.

Brown rice can be soaked for an hour before cooking, but it is not necessary and must be drained and dried before cooking. I add the rice to the water as it comes to a boil.

How much you chose to pay for your rice cooker makes no difference to this ratio.

Ya i don't know but i decided to take a lot of the water out. Like i said the water came up to the 8 cup level. I decided to take enough water out to lower it slightly above the 4 cup line. I set the time so it would soak (recommended in the manual) for 2 hours and the brown rice came out perfect. I think the problem i had in the past was related to how much rice i was trying to cook. Mine is a 10 cup rice cooker and i tried to cook 1 cup of rice. Brown rice came out crunchy. This time i did 4 cups and everything was perfect. I will try 2 cups next time which i'm guessing will be fine to but it looks like its not good for small quantities of rice.

Brown rice can be soaked for an hour before cooking, but it is not necessary and must be drained and dried before cooking.
I make brown rice almost exclusively and have never drained and dried my rice before cooking. Actually I do the opposite. I use a rice cooker and usually fill the cooker with the rice and water before I leave for work. It soaks all day and then it turns on (on a timer) so that it will be done in time for dinner. I have never had any issues with doing it this way. Where did you hear it could only be soaked for an hour and that it must be drained and dried before cooking? How would the rice even know it was dried if you dry it and then put it back in liquid to cook? My rice cooker even has a setting specifically for brown rice in which it has it soak for hours before it turns on. I forget the reason, but I am sure someone will come along who knows why. There is a health benefit from doing this.

I know in my rice cooker you put the rice in and then the water goes in next. You measure the water level with the rice already in the pot. Give that a shot next time ncage1974.

I just picked up the smaller version of your Sanyo rice cooker, the EJC-HC55S (Second Helpings Thrift Store, $6), unused, and downloaded the instruction manual. Tried it today with two cups brown Basmati, and the rice came out PERFECT without even pre-soaking. Haven't tried the timed cooking yet, but GB is right about putting the rice in the pot first, then the water, rather than filling to the mark with water first then adding rice. Good luck!

I just had a thought (no, really)...these Sanyo rice cookers come with two inner pots, one for rice and one for slow-cooking. The rice pot is marked for the water level of each type of rice, the slow-cooker pot is not, and is not non-stick. Stick with their rice measuring cup (3/4 cup) and their recommended water levels and you should have great rice every time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom