Help Me Pick Some Tequilas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My wife and I are going our Saturday for drinks and guacamole as a relatively new Mexican place by us that is getting great reviews. They have an extensive tequila menu
(Tequila List) and offer flights so you can taste a few and see what you like. I am familiar with a few tequilas on the list, but just a small percentage. Is anyone here familiar with any of these. Take a look at the flights at the bottom of the page specifically, as I will be getting one (or more) of those. I heard they will swap out any of their tequilas in the flights for any of the ones they have so I am not limited, but I would love some opinions. Which of these tequilas are you familiar with and how do you like them?

i like to find places that serve cabo wabo (the aged is better)

This place does have Cabo Wabo. I am looking to try things that might a little more exotic or harder to find.

This place does have Cabo Wabo. I am looking to try things that might a little more exotic or harder to find.
sorry i can't help you out but i haven't tried many.

Thanks msmofet. You have good taste in the Cabo.

The brands I have had off the list so far are:

El Tesoro
Milagro
Cabo Wabo
Patron
and maybe Corazon although i can not say for sure.

Milagro is my favorite of these 4 or 5, but I enjoyed each and every one of them.

Thanks powerplantop. That one actually is on the list. Not just the reposado, but also the anejo, and blanco. I think I generally prefer reposados, but I need to drink more to really figure out my preference. How would you describe the Cazadores R?

To me it is not to harsh but still has some punch to it. Some of the high end ones to me do not taste like tequila.

But I don't drink a lot of tequila any more. One or two shots then switch to something else. Even the shots a far in between.

Something new.

Are there that many variations on flavor?I have never personally tried a tequila that I liked.Usally by the time the shots arrived any thing was good.Have you ever tasted Yeagermeister when your straight?Terrible stuff!I really have nothing to add to this thread asside from wondering if the amount of agave in the tequila alters the taste.I saw something on PBS about the Jose Quervo opperation and it was pretty cool.It was interesting to see how this company was processing the raw ingrediants in a third world way to a finnished product that will ship all over the globe.

First, I only buy Anejo. I like the flavor of the cactus. It's sweet and savory all by itself. I treat a good tequila like a fine scotch. Sipping only please. If you have to shoot it you may as well make a marguarita with it.

1800 Anejo (Marzipan) - 5/8/22 Meh
Hornitos Anejo (Caramel) - 5/8/22 It’s ok, a bit rough but still a nice sweet after.
Cazadores (Roasted Cashew) - 7/10/28 Pale bottle, picture of a deer on the front. I like this one. No bitter Little smoke with a nice cactus flavor at the end.
Tres Generaciones (Brown Sugar) - 7/10/28 A little harsh but smoothes out after two sips.
Corazon (Floral/Rich Caramel) - 7/10/28 This is a nice one. Nice all around flavor.
Corralejo (Caramel/Pear) - 7/10/28 Sweet but not overboard.
Don Julio (Dark Chocolate) - 7/10/28 Another favorite. If you see someone slam this in a shooter, slap them.
Herradura (Cinnamon/Pear) - 7/10/28 The one I buy the most. Classic tequila taste without the rasp and harsh. It’s like Cuervo made by artists who care.
Patron (Mellow Agave) - 7/10/28 Ok but over rated.
Cabo Wabo (Honey/Lime) - 7/10/28 I like it but I do not seek it out.
La Certeza (Roasted Peppers) - 9/12/32 Rough but with a purpose.

Last edited:
wanna be, with the lower end tequilas (think Jose Cuervo) there is not much of a difference, at least not one that matters. With the op shelf stuff there is a world of difference between different types and even within the same brand from blanco to reposado, to anejo.

bigdaddy3k said:
I treat a good tequila like a fine scotch. Sipping only please. If you have to shoot it you may as well make a marguarita with it.
Great way to put it. I agree wholeheartedly.

BD, thank you so much for this list. I am putting it on my iPhone so when I am there I can refer to your notes. This is extremely helpful!!!

I am glad to see your notes on Don Julio. I knew nothing about that one, but for some reason it was sticking out in the list for me. Your description sealed the deal for me. This is one I absolutely want to try. I also agree with your notes on Patron. I think it is a very good tequila, but it gets way more credit than it deserves. Interestingly enough, when a friend of mine came back from Mexico he told me a story about a bartender they became friends with. My friend had ordered Patron and the bartender said that they must be from America because only Americans drink that stuff. You won't even find it in Mexico. He then proceeded to give my friend a lesson on tequila with a taste of a number of diferent ones. My friend was amazed and now has a hard time drinking Patron knowing what else is out there. Not that Patron is bad in any way, just there are so many amazing other options.

Please let us know what you discovered during your "tasting".

My tequila drinking has been limited to Margaritas, primarily because I have yet to find a tequila that I like straight up. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't even like the best, but I would at least like to give it a try.

Interestingly enough, when a friend of mine came back from Mexico he told me a story about a bartender they became friends with. My friend had ordered Patron and the bartender said that they must be from America because only Americans drink that stuff. You won't even find it in Mexico. He then proceeded to give my friend a lesson on tequila with a taste of a number of diferent ones. My friend was amazed and now has a hard time drinking Patron knowing what else is out there. Not that Patron is bad in any way, just there are so many amazing other options.

Same thing happened to me but I was telling the bartender that I didn't want to order what the American's ordered, that I knew there had to be better. He and his brother took me on a three night, 12 bar odyssey. Most places I didn't even have to pay for a drink! They were so enthusiastic about a gringo tequila lover! It was great, I tasted about 25 different tequilas (no, not full shots, I still own a liver) and ate at some joints that had never seen a gringo before. This is the adventure where I ate a worm taco!

I really don't expect that everyone would be treated this way. I think they got to liking me because it was an open mic bar and I was singing some traditional spanish folk songs in spanish (karaoke style). Now that I think aobut it I did have to sing in all the bars we went to. Maybe I was their equivelent of a dancing bear. (Come see the singing, tequila drinking giant!)

...Now that I think aobut it I did have to sing in all the bars we went to. Maybe I was their equivelent of a dancing bear. (Come see the singing, tequila drinking giant!)

Not a high price to pay for that kind of experience. Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot too.

Who knows, maybe I wouldn't even like the best, but I would at least like to give it a try.
The best is subjective. You best and my best may not be the same, but they are both the best for each of us respectively.

BD that sounds awesome!!! That is the kind of culinary and drinking experience everyone should have at least once. Very cool!

The people I started the trip with all freaked out. "OMG you ate from street vendors? You're going to get so sick. You're going to be killed, mugged, stabbed, dissappear forever..." There are easier people to do all of the above to, I am not a small man. Thieves are notoriously lazy, thats why they're thieves! As for getting sick, you only live once.

We had a great time and I found my new favorite tequila. I had 2 flights. The first consisted of El Tesoro blanco, Don Julio reposado, and El Mayor anejo. The second was Cabo Wabo blanco, Chinaco reposado, and Casa Noble anejo.

The winner for me by far was the Casa Noble. It had a very vanilla sort of taste and was just amazing. I spent a good part of the day trying to find a bottle. The bar tender said it is very hard to find, but he gave me a couple of places to try. Neither had it, but one had the reposado so I got a bottle of that. Unfortunately, I am not crazy about it. The owner of that store said he would try to get the anejo for me though.

We had a lot of fun. We got to the place and put our name in. The wait was at least 2 hours so we found a spot at the bar luckily. We got a guacamole sampler. There was regular guac, a tropical guace that had different fruits diced and mixed in, and a crunchy one that had corn nuts and jicima. By the time we had finished the guac and had our drinks we didn't need our table anymore so we gave it up and just hung in the bar. It was a lot of fun, plus the bar tender was someone who obviously loved what he did. He was pationate about all the tequilas and spent a lot of time talking to me about was there. Twice during the night he said that Don Julio does not make a bad tequila so good suggestion on that one BD! That was probably my second favorite. My least favorite was the Cabo Wabo. It was not bad, but a bit harsh. All the others were great!

Jose Curevo Gold is the one i like best if you are into the stronger taste I also find Sauza brand great and affordable.

Back
Top Bottom