Why are Taco Bells tacos so good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wanna be

Senior Cook
This is a lame attempt at eulogizing the founder of my favorite fast food joint.I read that he died this week and would like to thank him for giving me a choice.I could live on taco bell.I am somewhat of a mexican food snob and taco bell is not mexican food.It captured just enough of the familiar flavors to make you think that it might just be good.And it was and still is.Great idea Mr Bell! Now why cant I make a taco as good as taco bell?I have tried the copycat recipes and taco bell seasonings and sauces and they dont come close.I know that the bar may be set a little high for you guys.But can you please go back to your fast food days and tell me how to do it.I am not kidding about Taco Bells tacos ,I really do like them.I am sorry about the spelling and grammer rule violations in this and every post I make from here on out.I can not get spell check to work and I figure if I can get it somewhat understandable than You guys can do the rest.I can think of no better place to declair my ignorance than a Taco Bell posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Taco Bell as well! In fact, when I started looking all over the country for a teaching job, one of the things I checked on was that there was a Taco Bell within driving distance! I love good Mexican food, and I love my home made Mexican food, but once in awhile I just have to have my Taco Bell food!

Yes, I read about Mr. Bell's passing too. I was surprised to find that he also was one of the founders of Weinerschnitzel.

:)Barbara

I don't do fast food very often, but when I do, Taco Bell tacos are a favorite. For me it is because it is a taste of childhood; in my senior year of high school I had a friend with a Carmen Ghia, and we'd hop in her car and drive to Lompoc to go to Taco Bell! We'd barely make it back to school on time for our afternoon classes!

I'd say one of the tricks is to not use too much of an expensive, lean cut of ground beef, if the seasonings you've been using don't do it. You need a bit of fat, try some ground chuck. Cumin is often a forgotten spice when people first try to cook ... oh, what shall I call it? AmeriMex? (Mex-Tex and New Mexican are pretty distinctive cuisines!).

But the real question is this? The darned things aren't that expensive to buy from your local Taco Bell. If you have one, why bother? I don't have one within an hour's drive, but if you do, just buy the darned things. We all have our weaknesses, and if you think Taco Bell does it best, it is probably cheaper to just buy their tacos by the dozen for a party than it is to make them!

I'd love to know how they make their taco meat. It's flavorful and drier than when I make tacos. I think I could improve on the rest, but their taco meat is hard to beat...so that means they probably use things I'd never even think about like...pressure-cooking the minimal grade ground beef in lard. Or what have you.

~Kathleen

I'd love to know how they make their taco meat.
When I first encountered Taco Bell, I loved their taco, but it had a curious consistent effect on me -- two tacos were fine, but the third one or more would turn my stomach inside out for the following four hours.

Urban rumors spread that Mr. Bell was a modern day Sweeney Todd...

About ten years ago, amid growing public concern, Taco Bell admitted and discontinued use of GM (genetically modified) corn for its tortilla shells. The taste changed. Enough to convince me that GM food is not a trivial or inconsequential issue.

It may not be authentic Mexican, but I do admire Taco Bell for its almost defiant independence streak in the fast food industry. Still, I wish they'd get with the program and introduce a breakfast line... doesn't have to be menudo.

Remembering the Chihuahua commercials,
spork

I'd love to know how they make their taco meat. It's flavorful and drier than when I make tacos. I think I could improve on the rest, but their taco meat is hard to beat...so that means they probably use things I'd never even think about like...pressure-cooking the minimal grade ground beef in lard. Or what have you.

~Kathleen

There has been a lot of media about these fast food restaurants using ground beef that is soaked in ammonia to get rid of the e-coli. Perhaps the ammonia is the flavor that people have become addicted to. ;)

There has been a lot of media about these fast food restaurants using ground beef that is soaked in ammonia to get rid of the e-coli. Perhaps the ammonia is the flavor that people have become addicted to. ;)

And this is the flip side to why I want to know how some things are made! :ROFLMAO:

You know what? I've NEVER eaten at Taco Bell. They are combined with KFC here (in the US too?) and honestly if I am going to put fast food in me and I arrive there, KFC wins everytime.

You know what? I've NEVER eaten at Taco Bell. They are combined with KFC here (in the US too?) and honestly if I am going to put fast food in me and I arrive there, KFC wins everytime.

Yes, we have KFC/Taco Bells here too. I believe that KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silver's, and A&W Root Beer are all owned by the same parent company. I have seen Taco Bell / LJS, and LJS / A&Ws.

Why are Taco Bells tacos so good?
Are they? It's been years since I've had any. Can't stand the thought of eating beef that's been treated with ammonia.

Somehow I don't think of that as "good food." I wonder why? :wacko::rolleyes:

You may be right! I hadn't heard of that before so I did some research on Google and found this article in The New York Times.

Not sure I want to eat fast food ground beef anymore :glare:

i love the soft tacos especially when they have a bargain. i don't like crispy shells for tacos, just me. do like em used for taco salad. made a taco bell kit meal with a neighborhood child. thought that tasted ok. he liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom