Gyro meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sear

Cook
where do i find ground lamb ?
i got a "gyro" at the pizza place a week ago and he said it was a mix of beef and lamb they get already sliced...
id like to try making my own, any one got ideas ?

where do i find ground lamb ?
i got a "gyro" at the pizza place a week ago and he said it was a mix of beef and lamb they get already sliced...
id like to try making my own, any one got ideas ?

If you cant find it in the supermarket, just grind your own in a FP.

IMO, that gyro meat you are speaking of might be pretty hard to replicate at home.

does it matter what cut of lamb ? ive seen legs and a small package of something else ... cant remember the cut ..

Alton Brown has a recipe at FoodNetwork that is pretty close taste-wise...
But the whole roasted on a vertical spit with nice crunchy edges is very
difficult to do at home.
I cooked mine on my panini press/grill. Taste was good, texture was more
like a hamburger than a gyro.

But it is great fun to try!

I got ground lamb at the super market and used the Food Network recipe. I cooked mine horizontally with my rotisserie attachment for my grill. I didn't pack it tight enough and had to use some string to hold it together when it started to split.

Was very tasty though.

a butcher or supermarket in an area with enough lamb eaters (a university town for example) will have ground lamb regularly. Ofter your market will be happy to grind one of the small boneless legs for you (get one that is unflavored).

ill have to ask a butcher at waldbaums , seeing they only have 40$ packs of lamb legs im not too optimistic

I get boneless leg of lamb from Sams club.

That is a nice piece of meat! I like to cut it up like steaks and use Greek seasonings on it. It ends up like a gyro steak.

There are cheaper cuts of lamb to grind. Go to an actual butcher (one that deals in meat only, not attached to a grocers) and ask. I have used mutton as well (sheep instead of lamb) its a little gamier but I still liked it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you live, but do you have access to a meat locker (where they process the entire animal, but offer cuts to the public as well)?

We get our meat by the animal, so we get a lamb in the spring, but where it is processed, they also sell all cuts of meat, including lamb. Perhaps you can google for that.

I'd guess, otherwise, see if you can find halal groceries or specialty meat stores. I probably wouldn't buy it from a supermarket anyway, but that's just me.

Worst case... ask at the restaurant if you can buy a few pounds of the meat for a lower price and freeze it for later.

I'm not sure where you live, but do you have access to a meat locker (where they process the entire animal, but offer cuts to the public as well)?

We get our meat by the animal, so we get a lamb in the spring, but where it is processed, they also sell all cuts of meat, including lamb. Perhaps you can google for that.

I'd guess, otherwise, see if you can find halal groceries or specialty meat stores. I probably wouldn't buy it from a supermarket anyway, but that's just me.

Worst case... ask at the restaurant if you can buy a few pounds of the meat for a lower price and freeze it for later.

Thanks, not aware of places like that around me.
found some ground lamb this morning at "Best Yet" market so ill be buying it there.
the guy at the pizza place i asked, wasnt to keen on helping me locate lamb/gyro cuts to make my self :rolleyes:
"i duno, guy delivers it here"

Alton Brown has a recipe at FoodNetwork that is pretty close taste-wise...

The episode is called My Big Fat Greek Sandwich and it is on the Good Eats DVD called Loafing around. It has the recipe and instructions for making the meat on your grill and in the oven.

Sear, I take it that you are in or around NY NY. There are plenty of meat markets and butchers in your area. Google had too many to list on google maps. They just covered my screen in tiny dots.

Sear, I take it that you are in or around NY NY. There are plenty of meat markets and butchers in your area. Google had too many to list on google maps. They just covered my screen in tiny dots.

no, long island NY.
did a little bit of a seach found some places that are 40min-1 hour away

well i made it this weekend, combined AB's recipe with another one .. added a couple additional spices. rarely do i get it right on the first try ... but wow it came out tasting exactly like the gyros im used to.

i had to use a blender instead of food processor... not cool
after the loaf cools in the fridge for a night you can slice it thin to get the texture a little less like meat loaf

We have a small food processor and I did two pounds of ground lamb. I ended up doing a lot of little batches in the processor to make mine, but yeah it was real nice in the end.

How did you cook yours?

We have a small food processor and I did two pounds of ground lamb. I ended up doing a lot of little batches in the processor to make mine, but yeah it was real nice in the end.

How did you cook yours?
2lbs of lamb too
pyrex loaf pan, pressed mixture into the pan tightly
got a roaster pan filled half way up with water, placed the loaf pan in that
in the oven at 325 until internal temp of 167.
drained oil
left a weight on top with alum foil for 10 minutes , drained oil again
cut thick slices to eat right away. the next night after it cooled in the fridge i was able to do thin slices and heat in pan for a more "gyro" like gyro :)
used wheat pita, tomatoes and spanish onion, lightly sauted

just thinking about it makes me want another one now ... this is gonna be a regular dish :chef:

Sounds good. Once the weather warms up enough for me to use the rotisserie I will be doing another, and another, and...

In school we put the meat in a loaf pan too, and it was awesome. Especially with the scratch-made cucumber/yogurt sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom