Don't buy me that!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had sizzling rice soup in a restaurant once--never thought about making it.

(off to search for a recipe)

Did you find one? I can post what I do if you like.

Looks like rice cookers are one of those things you either love or hate. I think the high end ones must be the better ones. I think for many folks it might be a counter space issue. I know my MIL doesn't even have a dishwasher *gasp* because she doesn't want to lose any cupboard space.

Regarding the comments on keeping rice warm... it's more than warm, really hot.. so I don't think bacteria can form. They probably recommend 13 hours because it can get a little dry after that. We've eaten it at 24 hours many times though.

No offense to Pampered Chef people but I AM THE COOK IN THE HOUSE!

You will not get a sale by inviting my wife. You will get laughs and quippy comments but when it comes time to purchase stuff she politely declines and when asked she will respond "I will not buy things for my kitchen as I am not the one who uses it on a regular basis." This usually propmts a huge amounts of questions that end in everyone agreeing that she is the luckiest woman there.

I want to buy the egg cracker just so I can see how it works. After I saw how it worked I would have it just to say I have it.

Rice Cookers and other items

If space was the issue, I'm sure that I would do away with some of the gadgets and appliances that I have.

Things I would keep though are:
Crockpot - I love to assemble something in the AM and have it ready at night. Slow cooked sauerkraut with sausages, soups/stews. Yum!

Breadmaker - I do not bake. I don't make bread either, but Frank does. He loves coming up with new recipes to try, etc. That being said, if he had to knead it, find a place to let it rise, etc. The game would be over and Kathleen would have no more fresh bread. :ermm:

Microwave - It's my popcorn maker as well as reheating leftovers. I don't need it, but I want it.

Things I just like:
Rice Cooker with steamer - My boss used one for several potlucks and his food was wonderful! I just got mine, but am looking forward to making dinners with a press of a button.

Showtime Rotisserie - I love this. I mean I really love this. It is like having the Easy Bake Oven all over again! I put the roast or chicken on. Turn it on and watch it cook. Make a side dish. Check on it and bounce. Make something else. I feel like I'm six again.

Fry Daddy - We do not fry many things, but this does it without a mess.

Things I would never own but would love to play with for a day:
The HotDog Cooker posted by Janet! OMG OMG! I would play mad scientist for a day! How do they do when hot dogs plump with you cook them? Can I use them for grill-style sausage? How would they handle bagel buns? Kitchen science at its best. So what if it seems a bit nerdy. Frank can tell you that I'm the person who spent a day tossing marshmallow peeps and bunnies into vacuum chambers! Wheeee! They grew to the size of basketballs and then tasted like taffy.

Heck, I'd even play with the egg cracker. And if it did peel hardcooked eggs that easily, I'd sign on to be the spokes gal!

Yes, we donate silly kitchen gadgets often when there is a call for donations for charity. I don't always purchase them because I think they will be great. Sometimes it is only the amusement factor. ;)

~Kathleen

Don't buy me any kitchen gadgets "As seen on TV." Most are cheaply made and they are not helpful.

I hate to admit it, but I love useless kitchen gadgets of all sorts...but specialty electrics in particular. For some reason, I've been lusting after a waffle maker for doing those big waffle cones like you find in theme parks. I doubt I've eaten an ice cream cone in the 2k's, but it sure is shiny.

Of course, if I'm going to be making cones anyhow, this shiny chrome rack for holding them is a great investment! Waffle Makers--M838CH

Yesterday, I went and dug around the garage until I found the old Donvier ice cream maker. My intuition tells me that a UPS truck will be pulling up very shortly.

...and don't get me started on coffee paraphernalia.

You can put a rice cooker on a timer, you don't nec. need a built in one. (My simpe $8 steamer will turn off by itself.)

I like to 'sprinkle' a lot on stuff like our homemade pizza, stuffed shells, minestrone, and some salads and doing more at once permits having to clean the grater less frequently. Grated stuff keeps pretty good in tightly sealed DRY jars.

Back
Top Bottom