Sometimes I need to leave the baking to someone else!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getoutamykitchen

Master Chef

O.K. I love to cook, that's why I joined this wonderful site almost 1 1/2 years ago. Today I proved that just because I love to cook doesn't mean I can bake.
This morning I decided I was going to make a pound cake that BettyR posted about a month ago. I wrote down the recipe and first I failed to write down that the ingredients included 6 eggs:blink:, so when the batter looked entirely wrong (DRY) I ran to the computer and brought up the recipe on DC. So I added the eggs and the batter looked fine (a tad thick), but I have never made a cake from scratch so I poured the batter into the pan and popped it into the oven. For some stupid reason I decided to bring up her post again and :wacko: now I've realized I also forgot to add the 1 cup of milk.:bangin:
Sometimes I need to leave the baking to someone else!!!:chef:

Oh man have I had days like that! Its still fixable though! Got any instant pudding (any flavour) and whipped cream and fruit?

Chop up the cake and put chunks in the bottom of a pretty bowl (see through if you have it), glop the pudding on top (the cake will suck up some of the liquid and be yummy) then toss in some fruit (I like the frozen fruit mix from Costco) and top with whipped cream. Voila! Amazing dessert from failed baking.

Can you tell I've had my share of baking disasters? LOL!!!

Well the pound cake was a total loss. I did the toothpick test, but apparently the toothpick wasn't long enough because the bottom half was totally raw cake batter. When I flipped it onto a wire rack to finish cooling of course you can imagine what happened. But now my kitchen floor is clean from me cleaning up the mess I made. Oh how I hate wasting all that flour, sugar, and eggs.

Well crap. Nothing salvageable? Sit down with a cup of tea/coffee and just say "CRAAAAAP!" You'll feel better. If you're still in baking mode I have a couple of killer easy cake recipes that are guaranteed not to flop. Let me know and I'll point you at 'em.

What kind was it? I love pound cake. I make vanilla, chocolate, lemon and orange/cornmeal ones regularly. Hmmm...now you've got me thinking I might need to make one myself today. We're just about done the second birthday cake.

Well the pound cake was a total loss. I did the toothpick test, but apparently the toothpick wasn't long enough because the bottom half was totally raw cake batter. When I flipped it onto a wire rack to finish cooling of course you can imagine what happened. But now my kitchen floor is clean from me cleaning up the mess I made. Oh how I hate wasting all that flour, sugar, and eggs.
I use one of those wooden skewers for kebabs instead of a toothpick, because it is longer.

I have had times like that too. Like when I misread a cookie recipe (we won't go there :angel: ) but I learned to read and pull out all ingredients one at a time and get them measured and in bowls or dishes and double check each ingredient before I move on to measureing the next.

Like we say in carpentry, measure twice cut once.

Well I did it. The fact that I threw away all those ingredients was really bothering me, so I made a run to the store and got more sugar and tried it again. So 6 cups of sugar, 6 cups of flour, 12 eggs, 4 sticks of butter, etc. later I have myself a big pound cake. :clap: It looks beautiful!
I'll let ya'll know how it taste tomorrow.

had the same result in baking, sorta , yesterday. whipped up some ny bread dough. east said nov. for use date. i pushed it. barely rose at all. also added way to four. forgot, i guess, supposed to be that wet. heavy as a brick. totally could not be eaten. . i tried. don't think i will try to make a trifle with it. lol. as matter of fact i just threw it away

All I can say is... Join the Club! ;) My baking disasters include coffee cake, pie, angel food cake and bread. Practice, patience and re-reading the recipe is what most of us learn to do... the hard way! :chef:

I love this. I pretty much don't bake. It is more of (to me, you may disagree) more of a science than an art, and I've never been good at math. One thing I am good at is rescuing disasters. One time a friend of mine was assigned desert for a Thanksgiving dinner. I'd have been 100% happy with pies from the local grocery store. But she made a pumpkin chiffon pie that did not set up. She was in a panic. She'd brought some whipped topping, and I laughed. I grabbed some big wine glasses, and we layered the pie that never was and the topping and no one was the wiser.

For future reference, chunks of cake that didn't work can be layered with whipped topping, syrup, fruit and a little liquer to make a nice trifle, big or individual.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom