ISO rabbit stew recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
the local 'iggle began selling rabbit recently.
my Dad made a rabbit stew ages ago, when i was like 4. that stew was sooooo delicious.
i rang him for his recipe, he mainly griped that a rabbit isn't worth $35 rather than give me a recipe. (i explained that in the city, there's concrete instead of grassy land.):glare:
the stew was like a very hearty soup, chunks of meat, carrot slices, tomatoes, my Dad left that unthickened. a thin reddish broth. maybe even cabbage?
if yins find this familiar, i'd dearly appreciate a recipe!
thanks!

There's a world of difference between cottontails, hares, and domestic rabbits. Since domestic rabbits are somewhat similar to chicken and typically more white meat than wild ones, they lend themselves to being made like chicken paprikas or for a thinner sauce a cacciatore.

thanks. i'm only getting that rabbit if i find a stew recipe, though.

It's been years since I had a rabbit to cook. I love rabbit, especially the wild ones, but I wouldn't pay $35 for one. They breed "like rabbits." (They can have a litter every 6 weeks, and they have big litters!)

Now, to the recipe:
Cut the rabbit up kinda like a chicken: 2 front quarters, 2 hind quarters, and cut the saddle in half.
Season the meat with salt and pepper. Put some flour in a pan or paper bag and season it as well (about 1 tsp ea salt and pepper to a cup and a half of flour.
Heat about 1/2" of oil in Dutch oven on med/high. If you have bacon grease, add a couple of tablespoons.
Dredge rabbit in flour, brown on one side with pot uncovered.
Turn rabbit, reduce heat to medium, add a chopped onion (celery too, if you want), and partially cover pot.
When rabbit is brown on both sides and onions softened, add carrots, potatoes and any other root vegetables you desire, add a can of chicken broth or two and cover completely. Simmer on stove top or finish in 350 oven until rabbit and vegies are tender.
If you want to further thicken the gravy, make a slurry of flour and water (2 tbls ea) and stir into pot. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.

Serve with biscuits.

Rabbit is very lean, so it marries well with bacon diced and browned in the pan which helps prevent the rabbit flesh drying out in the cooking.
You could use duck fat instead of bacon.

thanks, guys! :)
i got a slab of pork fatbk. the other day, i'll probably use that instead of bacon or if i find a pack of bacon i'll combine them.

I haven't made it in years, but go online and look for a recipe for hasenpfeffer or "Jugged Hare"

luvs I used to hunt and eat the wild cotton tails, and occasional swamp rabbit...At one time I got into raising the domestic ones...They are delicious fried...if not over cooked.
My favorite method was braising/stewing...sometimes with a thin gravy...sometimes a brown roux based gravy, and at other times a red tomato gravy...Take a basic stew recipe and go from there...be creative....the sky is the limit. Miss Connie's recipe would be good eats....the addition of green peppercorns and juniper berries would be an interesting layer of flavor...as would green onions, parsley, and lots of garlic....

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!

I'll bet they would, Bob. Back when I was making rabbit stew, I'd never heard green peppercorns or juniper berries. :LOL:

Have you ever made a jambalaya with rabbit? Yummy!

I'll bet they would, Bob. Back when I was making rabbit stew, I'd never heard green peppercorns or juniper berries. :LOL:

Have you ever made a jambalaya with rabbit? Yummy!

:LOL: When I was chasin rabbits nor had I...I did think justplainbills' idea of green peppercorns and juniper berries was an interesting idea however.

Never made jambalaya with the critter...but made rabbit sauce piquant served over rice many times!!!;)

Decades ago my kids raised New Zealand Whites for 4H and the county fair. We had BBQ rabbit twice that summer and once in the fall. That was some of the best BBQ I've ever had!

Rabbit Stew - Heritage Recipe

This was my grandmother's recipe. No it was not domestic, she would shoot it, skin it and cook it. She was from Braxton County, WV and a farm woman.

1 three pound rabbit, cut up
2 small onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups diced carrots
4 potatoes, cut up
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

• Place rabbit in a large kettle with onions, bay leaf, celery and salt. Cover with cold water and cook slowly until tender, about two hours.
  • Add chopped carrots and potatoes and continue cooking until vegetables are done.
  • In a small bowl add flour and water, stir until well blended. Stir flour mixture into broth.
  • Add chopped parsley and serve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom