Mold on a plastic container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
Just discovered a cake container on top of the fridge that still had some cake in it. From Christmas. How do I get it clean so I can use it again?

Ew ick. My first resort is always vinegar, then baking soda. If that doesn't do it...I buy a new container (unless its Tupperware)

Wash and scrub it thoroughly with soap and water then rinse with a weak bleach solution.

Is it dishwasher safe? If so, wash it and then run it through a cycle. Almost all DW detergents have bleach in them, and the contact time is much longer than what you will do by hand.

Don't eat the cake :ROFLMAO::LOL::wacko:

dd just brought home a uber moldy tupperware from forever ago. she got rid of the food but now the washing .. i'm going to give it as many dishwasherings onhot as necessary !!!!

The bleach solution or the dishwasher would probably work better, but I've always soaked moldy plastic for several hours in vinegar, then wash it as normal with hot soapy water. This typically gets rid of any moldy and ripe food smells.

I'm not sure if you have a product called Napisan where you live, but just soak it over night in a bucket of water with a capful of this, then wash well.

I don't have a dishwasher. If it is something worth saving, I'd scrub it with soap and water first (not putting anything else in that sink with it). Then, I periodically soak several things from my kitchen in a bleach solution, and I would add that to the sink full. This would be AFTER I scrubbed the obvious signs of mold off of the vessel.

Back
Top Bottom