Does apetite increase depending on presentation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelo1012

Assistant Cook
i was wondering, do you all think that apetite increases depending on presentation of foods?

Crazy timeing.

I really think it does.I beat you to press by about a minute so I know you missed my dissapointment in a fancy french resturant.I didd'nt elaborate there so I will do it here.When I am paying $30 for a tiny piece of lamb four greenbeans a nicely baked potato flouret "one of those fancy shapes you get out of any cookie gun" three baby carrots and a tiny salad.Yea it increases my apetite.I cant wait till I down these five bites, leave an inflated tip and then go find a Burger King.I dont care what anybody says if you enjoy that fancy stuff than you are pretentious.It takes all kinds I guess.

I'm sure it depends on the person, to some degree. The fact that many in this country get way overweight eating stuff they buy in a drive-through at a fast-food emporium tells you it isn't all presentation (unless you have a real thing for paper bags and styrofoam shells). But for me, it definitely does increase on a good presentation. But it is very individual, to me. I've been to restaurants where the presentation was everything, and very geometric, and I felt like I had to knock down a tower of food with fancy squiggles of sauce decorating the plate (not sure how you're supposed to taste it), and it pretty much equaled eating out of a fast food paper bag, at a gazillion times the price. BUT, give me a beautifully presented dish of food that was meant to be eaten, and yes, I will definitely be more hungry for it, no matter the price.

I really think it matters a lot depending on the type of food that is. Though I would loose my appetite if something looks really poorly presented like if it looks like vomit or food is all over the place on the plate at a restaurant. It would mean that the kitchen is messy and the staff is quite messy in plating the food, thus all sorts of thoughts go in my head about sanitation etc.

Yes is does. We eat with all our senses....before we actually taste it our eyes and nose tell us about the food. Think about it... the SMELL of a fresh ripe strawberry and the LOOK of it, the color, all draw us to it. Also, why do you think all that time is spent making things look so exceptionally perfect for commercials and ads.

people preferring attractive-looking plated foods equal pretentious?
i suppose an opinion is an opinion.

If presentation did not matter why do the pics inside a fast food place show a made up burger and not what one really looks like?

Back
Top Bottom