White sauce with Fat Free Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
In the back of my mind I can hear somebody telling me never to make a white sauce with Fat Free Milk, is this true or is it literally all in my mind?

Trying to cut down on calories so would like to keep the milk as close to fat free as possible, but since it's only going to be a 1/2 pint of milk and I wouldn't be eating it all myself I could cope with doing it with full fat milk if I had to.

:chef:

Yes, you can use non-fat milk. However, with all the fat in the roux, the little bit of extra fat in the milk is inconsequential.

As a matter of fact, you could use chicken broth in place of the milk. Then the sauce would be called a veloute.

Yes you can. I only keep 1% milk in the house and I use it for cream sauces without and problems.

I only keep powdered dry milk, and use it exclusively for my bechamel sauces.

I do it all the time. If you want to make it even healthier, exchange olive oil for the butter. I use the butter though...it's only two tablespoons for two cups of sauce. (I also have high cholesterol. :ermm:)

I am very interested in this if you could let me in on the secret.

I'm not sure what jet does, but for myself, I use the dry powdered milk to make a "thicker" milk and use that in things like bechamel, german chocolate cake icing, cheese sauce, brown sugar fudge icing...;) anything that requires a higher fat, or evaporated milk and I don't have it on hand. Powdered milk is a great cheat.

I'm not sure what jet does, but for myself, I use the dry powdered milk to make a "thicker" milk and use that in things like bechamel, german chocolate cake icing, cheese sauce, brown sugar fudge icing...;) anything that requires a higher fat, or evaporated milk and I don't have it on hand. Powdered milk is a great cheat.

I do that too. I also add it to a roux just before I add any liquid for a richer sauce or gravy.

Back
Top Bottom