Calphalon Vs Chicago Cutlery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eappleto

Assistant Cook
Hey All,

I have a TERRIBLE set of kitchen knives that I am looking to replace with my very own, first set. I have done some research, realize it may be more economical to buy individual knives, but regardless want a set.

I have narrowed it down to Chicago Cutlerys Fusion or Insignia(2) sets or Calphalons Contemporary set. I was hoping you all could give some suggestions.

I realize that the CC Fusion set doesnt have sheers, but has one more knife. I like that both are forged full tang high carbon knives. So what do you all think??

I don't know about those two specific sets.

I have an older set of CC Walnut Traditions that I had good results with until I replaced them as my everyday knives.

CC always gets good reviews from people who use them. They seem to be a good combination of a decent design while being relatively inexpensive. I do not know anything about either of the sets you are looking at though so I really can't say which is better.

Just curious, what made you decide to go with a set instead of individual knives?

Last, but not least...welcome to the site!

I actually want a set because if I buy individual I will go nuts and spend $500 easy. The sets help me not do that haha.

Here's my advice...On amazon or ebay you can get an 8" chef knife by knife victorinox forschner with a black plastic handle for $30 shipped. It's a steal considering even if you buy a different brands block set, having an extra chefs knife will be helpful. If you like it, they sell victorinox sets, even one's with nicer wooden handles for around $175. At Target, macys or Bed Bath and Beyond they sell an universal knife block called kapoosh; it has plastic rods. Generally the Wusthof/Henckles has heavy too wide/thick of a blade and alloy is too soft. In the cutting dept, the ultra thin and hard Jap knives are superior but usually require special care, including sharpening. With any nice knife set, you do not want to put in the dishwasher and want to hand wash and almost immediately hand dry. Mac, fujiwara, tojiro DP, masamoto and Misono UX-10 are the current "elites" right now.Shun is a great all purpose knife as it's relatively hard steel that looks great. What really nice is they offer free sharpening for life, but you still pay the shipping to have it sharpened.

Victornixox black plastic
victorinox%20chefs%20knife%2010inch%204699.jpg

Universal knife block
kapoosh-knife-holder-2-300x300.jpg

Victornixox rosewood block set
Victorinox_Rosewood_Cutlery.tiff

This thread has been dead a while. I have my parent's CC set from their wedding in 1978. A few of the knives had the tips broken off a few years back. I called CC and asked for a replacement under the lifetime warranty. The person wasn't happy I waited so long to call and ask for a new one but put an order through anyways. Just a few days later I received a package with two brand new knives. Great customer service. Not saying anything bad about other companies, just good about CC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom