Allium Free Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnionFree

Assistant Cook
Hi all I'm hoping for some help here from all of you.

My husband's family makes no end of fun of me saying I can't cook. The truth is that I have an anaphylatic allergy to alliums (Onions, leeks, garlic, shallots, ect. Anything that grows from a bulb) and can't be in a kitchen that has them. What I am looking for some allium free recipes so that I can prove myself as not incompetent but capable under the right circumstances. Anything that you have tried or heard about I would appreciated.

Beyond that, since these is not a collection of allium free recipes out there in one place, I'm considering putting together a book that I will make available if I get enough suggestions. If you wish to be a part of that, please include your name, city, state/province and country - or whatever info you would like to share - feel free to PM me if that makes you more comfortable.

If you have a suggestion but don't want it in a book, just tell me and I'll respect your wishes.

Thank you so much for any help with this.

Lesley

Lets start with a couple of questions...

Can you have any of the bulbs dried and pulverized? Stewed/boiled?

That's a serious problem. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to avoid these most common flavorings. They're everywhere you turn.

While I don't cook allium-free, unless the allium family member is the central ingredient in a dish, can't you just leave it out? Leaving them out of a dish changes the flavor some but that can be compensated for through the creative use of herbs and spices.

Granted, favorite dishes won't taste the same but can still be good. You may want to focus your cooking on new and different recipes so the inevitable comparisons between allium-free and 'regular" versions can't be made. If you choose that route, pick any recipe that sounds good and make it your way.

Of course, no amount of creative flavoring will compensate for a family that is insensitive to your problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom