Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f160/)
-   -   Vegetarian diet? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f160/vegetarian-diet-63200.html)

CookLikeJulia 02-23-2010 04:03 PM

Vegetarian diet?

Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian

diet? Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week?

Andy M. 02-23-2010 04:12 PM

Not sure.

No.

FrankZ 02-23-2010 04:22 PM

When cows grow on bushes I will only eat plants. :)

DaveSoMD 02-23-2010 04:31 PM

Yes, and I have... for 3 months... althought it wasn't vegan.. I did have dairy..

tagout77 02-23-2010 04:38 PM

Yes.

Yes.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time. It's really not that difficult nor is it that unenjoyable. I've always explained it this way. No one would suffer if they ate just vegetables, but no one could or enjoy eating just meat. The flavor profiles of vegetables are more complex, and more diverse. Most people don't even like "meat" unless they add some sort of non-meat spice to it.

kadesma 02-23-2010 04:56 PM

No,
for me staying alive is based on protein..Chicken,eggs,beef,pork...Veggies are a side.
kadesma

Andy M. 02-23-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagout77 (Post 880038)
...Most people don't even like "meat" unless they add some sort of non-meat spice to it.

HUH???

tagout77 02-23-2010 05:03 PM

You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.

kadesma 02-23-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagout77 (Post 880046)
You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.

I don't want to argue with you but that is a broad statement for me. My kidneys have failed and I was told to eat what I listed above..Veggies alone won't do what I need. While I like and enjoy them, they are not and can't be my main focus.
kadesma

vyapti 02-23-2010 05:09 PM

1) Absolutely, without a doubt. I get my blood tested quarterly and have my doctor run a nutrient panel and I'm peachy (except for cholesterol). As I don't eat dairy or eggs either, I do need a B-12 supplement.

2) I think my food horizon expanded quite a bit when I went vegetarian, then vegan. There's so many more places to go when you don't have a slab of meat at the center of your plate. I've really explored other cuisines that are often vegetarian in nature, such as Indian and Thai and I've tried things that I never would have considered before (or even knew about). I'm definitely happy with my choice.