Ethnic Diets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
The Hay diet encourages you to separate protein from carbohydrate,

while the Chinese "Ying & Yang" diet encourages balanced eating.

Can you describe any special diets which are followed in your country?

I wouldn't say special. My parents emigrated from the Near East. I grew up eating a diet that included proteins, vegetables, starches, fruits and grains.

My great grand parents were from France, came here and chose to live in the hills. Everything they had to eat the raised or grew...Meat,fruit,veggies and made their own bread by trading with neighbors at Sunday meetings once a month.They worked hard so there was no such thing as "diets" just normal foods to feed the body and soul.
kadesma

Had it, don't care for it. But you're not talking about "REAL" bacon but that Canadian stuff.:ROFLMAO:

According to a book I am reading, the Chinese always had a line of thinking that involved "balance": The majority of your meal is to be a starch and the starch is then flavored with a small amount of vegetables and meat.

I think most ethnic diets are based on what resources were/are available to that culture, since the current abundance and variety that most of the First World has is a recent phenomenon. I think you will find that many ethnicities actually have more of a variety of nutrients in their food than it may appear at first.
In particular, it is common to associate protein with meat, calcium with milk, and omega-3's with fish: Most foods are a complex mixture of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Whole grains, for example, provide proteins as well as carbohydrates. Leaves such as kale, spinach, and chard are valuable sources of calcium, and omega-3's can be found in walnuts, purslane, and flaxseed.
I don't know where you're located, but I think many Americans eating at restaurants get a rather incomplete view of what people from other places eat, because we end up with only a subset of the dishes that a culture eats and most dishes are modified for the local palette and availability of affordable ingredients.

And don't forget the gravy on fries. ;)
Are referring to poutine? MMMMMMMM!! Not just gravy, but ambrosial melted cheese curds and LOTS of gravy. I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it!
(Andy, I don't actually like maple syrup on bacon, I was just being goofy. I DO however prefer back bacon to the regular stuff)

Are referring to poutine? MMMMMMMM!! Not just gravy, but ambrosial melted cheese curds and LOTS of gravy. I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it!
(Andy, I don't actually like maple syrup on bacon, I was just being goofy. I DO however prefer back bacon to the regular stuff)

Alix, the next time I visit Canada, I'm going to order poutine. Something I have to try before I die.

Also would like to try an authentic tourtiere.

Every time I have been out to eat up in Canada and order fries they have offered gravy. No one has specified what type, what's in it or anything else about it.

I usually almost always say no, but I don't mind eating local.

I was up in Toronto on business for Y2K. The company was nice enough to send Kathleen along with me She insisted I speak with my coworker to make sure we had something Canadian while we were there.

When I asked him what would be a good Canadian meal he responded "bacon". I asked if there was anything else and he said "no, just bacon".

Are you telling me you don't eat fries with gravy down south? I personally found it a bit weird to see folks eating fries with mayo, but hey, who am I to argue?

Poutine is VERY tasty, but it might just be your last meal if you have a cholesterol problem to start with! ;)

My diet (eating habits) have changed so much over the years, it's difficult to pinpoint. I've gone from eating starches with little meat and veg in my early years to eating veg with a little meat and starch today. Along the way I had my carnivorous years, which I still revert to on occasion. I think I'm a born carnivore. That said, I still eat the favorites from my youth and new ideas from today with the emphasis on more veg, less meat and starch. I buy organic and local as much as possible. I don't allow any artificial sweeteners, etc.

Next week, I will be making my own catsup and chili sauce, to rid my cupboards of another couple of canned items. Next is homemade corned beef. My goal is to completely do without can and jar openers.

Back
Top Bottom