Favorite Foodie/Lifestyle Magazine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
My subscription to Diet & Nutrition magazine has recently expired. I enjoy getting magazines in the mail very much, but that one really didn't do it for me. Some mags are all food all the time while others that do have a lifestyle component focus heavily (or exclusively) on women's issues. Now... Don't get me wrong. I don't want a magazine that shows me how to kill wild animals with my bare hands and create a gourmet meal from it... but does anyone know of a really good food-focused magazine that isn't so female focused in the lifestyle part? Thanks.

I don't know if Barnes and Noble has a store in Area 51, but if they do, stop by their magazine section and check out what they have to see if you can find one you like.

I hear you.

Cook's Illustrated is pretty darn neutral (Cook's Country too). It falls into the all food all the time category. I have some issues with the publisher, but not the magazine.

Gourmet is cooking and travel oriented.

Bon Appetit can be a little girlie from time to time but still a good read for the food.

Even if you don't plan to gun down your own meal, most all of the hunting magazines do cooking articles. If you're into game meats, but not firearms, several of them publish cookbooks. I was flipping through a magazine at the doctors office a month or so ago that was about a third cooking, a third hunting and a third southern lifestyle (including restaurant reviews). Wish I could remember the title.

Andy is right on the money. Get to a Borders, Barnes and Noble or a good sized news stand and browse.

I hear you.

Cook's Illustrated is pretty darn neutral (Cook's Country too). It falls into the all food all the time category. I have some issues with the publisher, but not the magazine.

Gourmet is cooking and travel oriented.

Bon Appetit can be a little girlie from time to time but still a good read for the food.

Even if you don't plan to gun down your own meal, most all of the hunting magazines do cooking articles. If you're into game meats, but not firearms, several of them publish cookbooks. I was flipping through a magazine at the doctors office a month or so ago that was about a third cooking, a third hunting and a third southern lifestyle (including restaurant reviews). Wish I could remember the title.

Andy is right on the money. Get to a Borders, Barnes and Noble or a good sized news stand and browse.

Gourmet stopped publishing last fall.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll browse. I was at the dentist's office the other day and was reading 'Men's Journal'. It had good diet, exercise, technology stuff but was a little light on foodie content. Maybe I'll end up with a couple of different subscriptions to satisfy my interests... Twice as much fun at the mailbox!

Maybe I'll end up with a couple of different subscriptions to satisfy my interests... Twice as much fun at the mailbox!

That's what I have ended up doing. I get Taste of Home cooking magazine, one called Hobby Farm Home, and 3 gardening magaznes. Between those I get pretty much my cooking and gardening fix. I'll also pick up some magazines occasionally if the have something interesting.

I just subscribed to food network magazine 30 mags for $35.00 I looked at one magazine not to long ago and I got like it. I was going to subscribe to cooks illustrated but I'll probably subscribe to their website better.

So many of the magazines I subscribed to over the years became more "life styles of the rich and famous" that I canceled them all. I really wasn't surprised when 'Gourmet' went out of business because I'd canceled it after well over a decade, maybe two, because it had become something I seldom read, when I used to read it cover to cover. I gave almost 20 years of them to an acquaintance who coveted them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom