Fun Food for kids to cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisUk

Assistant Cook
We are having pizza today. I have a bread maker, which makes lovely pizza dough and both my children (1 and 4 years) can roll out the dough and put all the ingredients I have prepared for them on. Everyone has his/her very own and very special pizza and they love to eat them.

Do you have any other suggestions of fun food for the whole family to cook together?

Thanks,
Christine

Mine is 8 just last week, so she's doing a lot more now than at 4. At 4 yo, one of the things that she liked to get involved in was anything that got her hands into the food. She wasn't using a knife yet, but anything with mixing, stirring, even some stuff at the stove (but not in the oven)

One thing we have always loved to do together is make bread. She loves to knead the bread. We still do this together frequently. Dinner rolls and pizza dough are favorites to make. We do the same with "make-your-own" pizza. Oh, we make our own sauce in the summertime from our garden and dd likes to participate in that process, too.

Making salad was another good one. She enjoyed doing the whisking when I made the dressing, tearing the lettuce, adding the other ingredients then tossing the salad.

We make a lot of homemade freezer pops. Just fruit and yogurt, blended, then frozen in molds. We rarely have juice in the house, but we sometimes do dairy-free freezer pops with juice instead.

Making hamburger patties and meatloaf and the like - again, getting the hands in the food.

Baking sweets, of course. Baking was particularly helpful with math skills because of exact measurements (as opposed to cooking, where I rarely measure anything).

I'm trying to think of things for a 4yo and not an 8yo and it's hard to remember that far back. :LOL:

Thanks for these ideas. I'll try the salad next. Neither of them like to eat green leafy things. Only when they can pick them straight from the garden. My older one love the rocket last year, but won't go near any bought salad. Maybe if they make it themselves it will make a difference.

zmu Grand daughter just turned 4 in Jan. Olivia, loves to make pb&j for her brother, won't eat it herself,but loves to make a cheese sandwich. She has just helped make cookies, I measure and set things out, she puts them in the bowl, then I turn on the beaters and she mixes..She just loves mashing the yolks of the eggs for deviled eggs. By the time she finishes mashing she is done and wants to go play, same with the beaters..Fooling with the pans and the oven is some time yet.. Little ones do like to help, she will get out plates and glasses and is wonder about putting things away..Loves wearing her apron I painted for her..I have to say her brother and cousins all boys, love to cook. My oldest g-son makes a batch of chocolate chip cookies all by himself...He started with me at 2..
kadesma:)

Kids love Mexican food..especially if they have a hand in making it..i have these two easy and delish recipes that is kid proof and kid friendly

Cheesy Rice & Corn Casserole
Ingredients
1/2 cup Cream Cheese Spread

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 cups instant white rice, (follow direction in pack when cooking)

1 can corn, drained
red and green bell peppers

1 cup Mexican Style Cheese

2 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

Direction

*In a bowl beat eggs and add cream cheese, mix well
*Add corn, rice, cilantro and 3/4 of of the cheese

*Grease baking dish
*Pour the mixture in the dish
*Add more cheese at the top

*In a 375°F, bake it for 25 minutes until the top is slightly brown
Serve it hot

'Speedy Gonzalez' Morning Burritos
Ingredients
4 eggs

3 Tablespoon Ranch Dressing

4 slices Smoked Ham, chopped

1/4 cup Salsa

1/4 cup Mexican Cheese

2 pieces flour tortillas

Direction

*In a bowl beat eggs and add the dressing, mix well

* Add 2 tablespoon of the cheese and salsa
*Heat oil in pan in medium heat and lightly fry the egg mixture
* Lay tortillas flat in plate *Add cooked eggs at the center of the tortilla
*Wrap it like a burrito by folding sides first then roll
*Sprinkle cheese and garnish it with salsa and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom