White meat only - anyone else have this problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I am now roasting a whole, beautiful chicken, stuffed with aromatics, surrounded with vegetables. Here is the problem.

Normally I would have invited a few guests to enjoy what will be a beautiful repast. BUT, her in lies a problem.

I don't dare invite people for an entire roast chicken, because I wind up, often, with three or four people (this is a big oven roaster) who won't eat anything but the chicken breast! And they are usually people who take the beautiful, golden, crispy skin I slaved to get just right and toss it to the side with the bones.

Ouch! Might as well buy frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, throw them in a skillet for 15 min, and they'll be happier!

I was so delighted a couple years ago when I made Thanksgiving dinner for six of us, and three people wanted the dark meat! It isn't going to kill you if you eat it once or twice a year! When it is a turkey, it is no big deal. But it used to be a normal sized chicken could feed six. Now I don't think I could feed 4 with it. And the flavor (and aroma, sniff, sniff I'm in heaven right now) is nowhere near the same. So it is just me and hubby, and soups and stews after.

I must be confused. So you're upset that no one wants to eat the dark meat? Or that you're not the one getting the white meat? As hostess I'm sure you would give your guests their preference.
If you 8 way a chicken, two people get a half a breast a piece. Two get a thigh a piece and two a leg a piece. That is, if they all eat as you want them too. That leaves 2 wings to be divided between the other guests. I would guess the leg people because chicken legs aren't very big. Plus wings are considered white meat.
And when they toss away the skin just think how much longer they can be there to be your friend since they're trying to eat healthy. If it bothers you that you worked so hard on it, take a picture of it.

I run into it all the time. I just cook something different. I've even had my sister tell me she won't even try duck because it's all dark meat!

I always reach for the thigh first.

Claire, I run into it sometimes too. I just take the whole breast off the bird (which means all the skin is then MINE!) and slice it thinly, then do the same with the thighs and leave the wings and drumsticks as the only bits with bone in. If you slice it like that then often people won't be quite so piggy about taking all breast meat. I will admit though the chickens I do are usually 10-12lbs. And yes, they ARE chickens, just farm raised.

LOL. I'm sure they run around in the yard saying BUCK BUCK BUCK in a very deep voice too.

I just take the whole breast off the bird (which means all the skin is then MINE!) and slice it thinly, then do the same with the thighs and leave the wings and drumsticks as the only bits with bone in.

That's also what I do. Carve it and then lay it out on a platter with the veg. If you have a few people you can divide it onto 2 platter and have one for each half of the table.

With my gang I just buy several extra pieces of breast and drumsticks, these I dip in egg and panko give a light browning to and then add to the pan with the whole chicken..The kids like the extra pieces and the big kids inhale the whole chicken..
kadesma;)

I suppose I could wangle an invite to dinner because I really only eat the dark meat if I have a choice. :)

And unless the skin is done in a way I don't like it doesn't get tossed aside.

I suppose I could wangle an invite to dinner because I really only eat the dark meat if I have a choice. :)

And unless the skin is done in a way I don't like it doesn't get tossed aside.
Wanna eat here? Any time...:) We always have plenty
kades

Yeah, I do sometimes buy an "oven roaster" which is large enough to take the breast off and slice. And Mom taught me the trick: The skin never tastes good leftover, so save it as the cook's reward and eat it yourself while it is still crisp (yes, I, too, do not like flabby skin). I personally do not have a preference white vs dark meat (and LOVE duck. Haven't done one in years because I do not have a stove fan, so only will cook a whole duck outside)(do you know how smoky your kitchen gets when the fat starts to sizzle?). But a regular sized chicken? I can only have one guest at a time unless I know the guest eats dark meat! And, yes, I have bought boneless, skinless, frozen breasts (I usually have some in the freezer) and thrown a couple in halfway through the cooking. So I've actually managed to make a chicken with a few breasts. The smart guests grab the meat off the whole chicken roasted on its bones under the skin! But when mentioning particular products, you have to realize some of us have more limited choices. Mine are Piggly-Wiggly and Wal-Mart. I suppose, given the number of farms around here, I might be able to poach one!

I think it is ingrained into our brains from a young age to like so called white meat. I too thought for many years that I onlhy liked the white meat.
Then a chain of rottiserie restuarants here came about and I would order the 1/4 chicken dinner with a leg and realized.... This tastes better than white meat....it has flavour and it's juicy.

I still like the breast but a leg is nice too!!;)

Claire, I wasn't suggesting that you need to change the kind of chicken you buy, I hope I didn't give that impression. I was just trying to clarify that the ones I use are likely quite different from the ones you get and my solution might not be a fit for you.

here's what i do from time-to-time. place stuffing in a buttered casserole. layer cuts of chicken on top. bake.

positive points - everyone gets what they want; by cutting along the bone of the thigh & opening out the upper part of the leg, the leg cooks in the same time as the breast,, so you get a juicier breast; all juices go into stuffing; no messy left-overs/ carcass.

negative points - not as nice looking, presentation-wise; no pan juices for gravy; sometimes exposed edges of cuts not covered all the way by skin, but these can be covered by a strip of bacon, celery, etc.

Everyone in my household prefers white meat. I've taken just to buying frozen breasts of chicken or turkey. No sense in having someone feel left out.

I do buy leg/thigh quarters for making stock though.

:rolleyes:Sigh, if all those "white only" people knew all the chicky flavor was in the delectable dark meat I wouldn't get any. I also carve a roast chicken for company, just like a turkey. No sense in those "white only" people being piggy about a big hunk of breast. If there's not enough for them, there are always lots of side dishes. Nobody ever leaves here hungry.
Besides, try to remember that your guests are there to spend time with you, and you with them, the food is a an extra labor of love. To me, that's the real secret of sharing a home cooked meal.

Can you fit two pans in your oven? Why not roast two chickens? You can freeze whatever is left to make stock, soups, chicken salad, chicken tacos, enchiladas or, my favorite, chicken with cornbread dressing. I personally don't like dark meat very much, but the left over dark meat, layered into the dressing I find to be divine! If you do two at a time you get more bang for your buck when it comes to the cost of heating up your oven. I think about that sort of thing a lot because our oven is so large. I would rather have two small ones!!

Back
Top Bottom