Kim chee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randee

Assistant Cook
I have the premade kimchi sauce in a jar - now I'm not sure how much of it to use to make the kimchi cabbage? Help please

I make kimchee a few times a year, and have never used a pre-made sauce. That said, go by taste. I first dry the cabbage with salt (a process I'll explain if you ask). Then use whatever peppers I can get. At this point you'd put in your kimchee sauce. For me it is chili flakes, slices of garlic, and green onions (some like fish sauce or little fishies, I don't care for that). I happen to like "fresh" kimchee (otherwise also known as "summer" kimchee) rather than the fermented "winter" kimchee, which will blow the top off of your head and make you wonder if the end you sit on is your worst enemy. But you can only judge the heat by experience, no one can tell you. Peppers are totally unpredictable. You can grow them yourself, and find that they are hotter and milder, you simply do not know. So experiment and have fun. This is one thing where no one can possibly tell you how much to use. You have to try and hope for the best. Even after making it for something like 20 years, I cannot predict how hot it will be!

If you want to use the sauce, just use it to taste.
You want your cabbage to be coated but not swimming in the sauce.
You do need to brine the cabbage first.
Enjoy!

If you really like kimchee you will want to learn to make your own from "scratch" for sure!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom