Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Unexpected company challenge (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/unexpected-company-challenge-6335.html)

mudbug 01-07-2005 02:49 PM

Unexpected company challenge

Uh oh! Out of nowhere, someone (your best friend, Uncle Bob, mudbug, etc.) is ringing the doorbell, wanting to come in for a visit.

Naturally as a brilliant hostess/host, you will offer them a little something to eat during the visit, but you are limited to what you have on hand right now! No fair sneaking off to the store.

What could you make this very afternoon to tide them over until dinner, using only ingredients you have immediately available? Must take 20 minutes or less to prepare - time enough to get a drink of something into them.

htc 01-07-2005 02:53 PM

Only thing I would be able to do is crackers and cheese plate or spinach dip w/ veggies and/or crackers.

Everything else would require defrosting meat, wraps, etc.

PA Baker 01-07-2005 02:57 PM

Re: Unexpected company challenge

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug
Uh oh! Out of nowhere, someone (your best friend, Uncle Bob, mudbug, etc.) is ringing the doorbell, wanting to come in for a visit.

Depending on who it is, Hubby would probably want to turn out the lights and not answer the door! :wink:

I have cheese and crackers on hand at all times, as well as veggies like carrots, peppers, broccoli and ranch dressing, so I could through together a veggie and dip tray.

Have tortillas, so if they preferred sweet I could brush them with melted butter sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them, cut in to wedges and bake 'till crispy. If I had yogurt around they could be dipped in that.

Tortillas could also be done with chili poweder, garlic powder, etc for a savory.

SierraCook 01-07-2005 03:01 PM

Wrap salami around pepperoncini and secure with a toothpick. Put out various cheeses on a cheese platter. Serve with various crackers. Make a mini antipasti platter with olives, pepperoncini, pickled garlic, dill pickles, etc.

crewsk 01-07-2005 03:07 PM

OK, first of all if my Uncle Bob knocked on my door it would mean that I'm in heaven too! :shock: Secondly, I'd cut some French bread into triangles, spread with garlic buter & top with grated parm cheese or mozzerella slide into the oven to get the bread crispy & about half way through top with a tomato slice & basil.

pancake 01-07-2005 03:07 PM

Antipasti is definately a great idea! I always always have some dessert in the fridge or frozen cookie dough (take only 15 minutes to bake). Great savers!

mudbug 01-07-2005 03:51 PM

Very nice, everyone. Now I'm gonna show up when you least expect it, with a printout of this thread in my hand.

crewsk 01-07-2005 03:54 PM

OH NO!!! I gotta clean my house!! :shock: Do me a favor mudbug & go to everyone elses house first! :lol:

kitchenelf 01-07-2005 03:55 PM

I would have the makings for an antipasto platter - pepperoni, different cheeses, green olives, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, water-packed mozzarella - I'd probably toss the tomatoes and mozzarella with the basil oil I already have made - then I have enough prosciutto to roll up and add to it. I have some goat cheese left that if someone wanted to spread that on baguette slices they could and then pile as much of the above on top - (I'm getting hungry now LOL)

I have some feta too that I would mix with some of the cucumber and celery and tomatoes and make GB's Greek side dish he posted a few weeks ago - it is great with toasted baguette slices.

mudbug 01-07-2005 03:57 PM

elfie's first!