Chinese Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggythefrog

Senior Cook
Does anyone here prepare Chinese vegetables?

I recently went to a Chinese restaurant here in Albuquerque, and was quite excited when the owner told me about the different Chinese vegetables they have. Most of them are prepared quite simply: steamed, sauteed with garlic, or served in a light brown sauce. I've had gai-lan (Chinese broccoli), pea tips, and sweet potato leaves. I was excited about the sweet potato leaves because I knew I could probably grow them myself, but did not find those nearly as exciting as the pea tips and gai lan. She also told me about a vegetable called "hollow heart" that's in season over the summer months. I am hoping they will carry it.
The simple preparations at the restaurant were especially nice for allowing me to familiarize myself with the vegetables. Does anyone here cook them? What do you do with them. I might not let the dirt on the vegetables at the Branch 99 deter me so much now on the off-chance I am able to identify more of the vegetables now.

While not a full range this site sells a good varity of asian seeds. Asian Vegetable Seeds It has pictures of every thing that they sell. It also has tips on the best meathod for cooking some of the vegies.

I love kong shing chai (hollow heart vegetable). I cook that with the fried shallots (you can find this in asian markets), or shrimp paste. For most of these vegetables garlic is a must. They usually just smash it with the knife and throw it in a thing of oil and put in the vegetables. If your vegetables aren't that wet, you might have to add in a little water then cover it. For the sweet potato leaves: I cook it with black vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, fried shallots. You might have to experiment with the amount because I just literally just throw in stuff into a wok.

Back
Top Bottom