Blueberry pie problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chip Roe

Assistant Cook
hey, like blueberry pie. But i bought some blue berry pie filling and a pie crust no,w i have no idea what to do. My first instinct is to dump the fillin into the pie crust and throw it in the oven. Do i need like a dough cover, or should put like peanuts on top or someting?

just the bottom I dont know a thing about this, so, my real question is, "Is it or is it not col to just have filling and a pie bottom in the oven?" If not, what should i put top?

just the bottom I dont know a thing about this, so, my real question is, "Is it or is it not col to just have filling and a pie bottom in the oven?" If not, what should i put top?

whipped cream would be good or ice cream, both are done just before you serve.

could also put on a crumb topping. making me hungry

alright, so to clarify, just put it in, without pie top and its all good.
What is a crumb topping?
how would I make it?

Fruit pies usually have a top of some kind. Since you don't have a crust for the top, I would suggest a streusel or crumb topping.

If you want to add ice cream or whipped cream, you do that after the pie has cooled down somewhat.

Chip, your bottom crust needs to be cooked. Before you plop the filling in there, just see if it is cooked or not. If it is, dump the filling in and you're fine. If not, cook the bottom crust for a bit, then dump the filling in.

I like the whipped cream idea too. Mmmmmm.

Fruit pies usually have a top of some kind. Since you don't have a crust for the top, I would suggest a streusel or crumb topping.

If you want to add ice cream or whipped cream, you do that after the pie has cooled down somewhat.
What is that? how do I make?I want to know how to make a crumb topping now.

3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt
5 tablespoons melted butter

toss all of the above to combine, but leave it very lumpy.

Distribute over the top of the pie before baking

place it on a cookie sheet to catch anything that may bubble over,once cooked don't move it around during cooling ,this will allow it to set .

Gotta weigh in on this one. Pre-made blueberry pie filling is rather runny. Also, if you bake the pie without a crust, or topping of any kind, the surface layer of the filling may become somewhat rubbery as the moisture evaporates. Add just a little bit of a slurry of made from water and flour to the pie filling before you put it into the pie shell. And yes, the bottom pie crust should be pricked with a for, to prevent bubbling, and brushed with egg wash to seal it against the wet filling to insure a flaky bottom crust. Then put the filling in, cover with topping or top pie crust, poke vent holes in the top to let steam escape (if using a top crust), and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.

For the slurry, use about t tbs flour combined with an equal amount of water. Make sure there are no lumps in it. Mix it into the pie filling completely.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt
5 tablespoons melted butter

toss all of the above to combine, but leave it very lumpy.

Distribute over the top of the pie before baking

I don't melt the butter, I just cut the butter into the dry ingredients, kind of like making pie crust.

Blueberry pie generally has two crusts, though. the packages of frozen crusts generally come with two in the bag.

I've never used blueberry pie filling, so I can't weigh on on the texture. I just dump a bunch of blueberries in a bowl and mix them with a mixture of unflavored dry breadcrumbs and sugar before putting them into an unbaked crust. Dot the top with butter and put the top crust on. Be sure to cut slits or holes in the top crust to let the steam out.

Back
Top Bottom