Enameled Lodge Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really?

Hmmm.... May need to launch a full-scale search in the Dallas area!

Where did you see it? Is it available locally, online?? Do tell, vilasman!!!

YOWEE! That 7-quart model is nearly $200, and I think I paid perhaps $25 for my good old fashioned just-plain-cast-iron model?

Looks like Lodge has a new marketing crew.

No thanks.

Greetings, GB, and thank you for the link to settle the idle curiosity! ;)

I'm with you Audeo! And, that SS trim is just gilding the lilly... and I think that SS lid handle looks silly. I really have to wonder if a $25-$50 pot is worth $200 just because they enameled it? Sure, it looks pretty .... but is it worth it?

To those who will say the enamel makes it non-reactive ... I have to pose the question ... isn't a properly seasoned cast iron pot also non-reactive? When properly seasoned there is a barrier of oil fused to the pot between the metal and the food ... kind of the same purpose of the enamel.

True, high acid foods might break down the seasoning if you store it in the pot for a couple of days in the 'fridge ... something that would not happen with enameled stuff I agree ... but I don't store food in my cookware, I store leftovers in non-reactive containers.

Michael in FtW; As usual, your no-nosense thinking is right on the mark. I love my ordinary, or should I say extraordinary cast iron. It is well seasoned and virtually stick free. I've never had any enamled cooking utensile give me as good service or results as cast-iron.

I second your comments.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I heard this stuff was in the works a while ago. When they first started selling it I was a little surprised by the prices. It's nice that they have metal handles.

it's good quality, and enameling costs $$. there is a new lline from Innova of color cast enameld cast iron. Look for it at smartbargins, target etc. best prices around. I have only once been treated to iron stew and it's not pleasant. I would put it down to improper seasoning, but I know the pan was well seasoned; it was a tomato, wine and lemon something or other and it tasted metalic. But I've never had a problem with spaghetti sauce or chili in my dutch oven.

The Innova enamelled cast iron has very, very bad customer reviews on Amazon - apparently lots of people have had problems with the enamel bubbling up and cracking. It may be a lot cheaper than Lodge or Le Creuset...but you get what you pay for.

Paint.

will keep a watch on that. I liked the look of the Innova, and it doesn't have a plastic knob, but if it doesn't take the heat, who needs it! :ermm:

i have some lodge cast iron that i bought ages ago, probably a year ago, but haven't used it yet. it's packed away. but i can say it's lovely cookware and is nice and heavy.

Robo410 said:
will keep a watch on that. I liked the look of the Innova, and it doesn't have a plastic knob, but if it doesn't take the heat, who needs it! :ermm:

Kohl's 'own brand' of enamelled cast-iron is made by Innova too - so if you wanted to try it, I would get the Kohls version, because you would have better customer service with Kohls and be able to return it/get a refund if the enamel bubbled. Apparently Innova customer service is not very good - a customer complained about the bubbling and was told that as it didn't make any difference to the cooking ability of the pot, that it wasn't covered by the guarantee!!!

Paint.

The thing about Le Creuset is that it is such high quality that you'll pass it on to your kids and grandkids.

My mom has a few pieces piece she bought in Europe in the 1950's and she still uses them all the time. Hopefully they'll be mine someday -- owning cookware older than you are tells you something about the workmanship.

Also LC is supposedly very good about replacing defective pieces -- as long as the cookware doesn't seem misused.

Williams Sonoma replaces LC without questions.

We had some enameled cast iron pots and pans that where given to us as 'hand me downs'. I thought they where hard to clean and everthing stained them. Maybe they were the crappy ones. I threw them out.

I prefere to use my cast iron or stainless steel.

Bryan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom